Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore - 2018 First Look

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
THIS car might not be much to look at — covered in stripes designed to trick spy photographers — but underneath the camouflage is the Holden Commodore of the future.

Holden has provided a sneak peek at the German sedan that will replace the locally-made Commodore after 40 years — when the Elizabeth factory falls silent forever in late 2017.

The new model is not due in showrooms until February 2018, but Holden wants Australia to know the Commodore is here to stay — even though the car itself is changing.

870ee1e6df34b7b66ae9aefd0fa29d92

d04cb8dbd0975ffba9438d83865fa89a

e53ebb4d8b442d2b8b6394e1603f57ab

There is no V8 — which accounts for more than one-third of sales — and the new model is smaller than before. It’s also a hatchback, not a sedan, to create more bootspace.

Unlike every large Holden family car since 1948 — and every Commodore since 1978 — the fifth generation Commodore will be available with choice of four cylinder petrol or diesel front-wheel-drive power, or a V6 all-wheel-drive.

Our first taste of the new Commodore is a 20-minute drive inside Holden’s top secret test track on the south eastern outskirts of Melbourne.

Although the new Commodore was designed and engineered by Opel in Germany, Holden engineers have had a hand in its development, to make sure it can handle harsh local conditions.

The first time a German sedan came to Australia as a Commodore, in 1978, it shook apart.
News Corp's motoring editor Joshua Dowling, pictured test driving a camouflaged version of the 2018 Holden Commodore. Picture: Supplied

News Corp's motoring editor Joshua Dowling, pictured test driving a camouflaged version of the 2018 Holden Commodore. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

Two cars — valued at close to $500,000 each because they are built by hand — are the first to arrive from Germany for testing on local roads.

Which is why Holden minders pleaded with the small group of media to be especially careful: the cars are only “65 per cent” close to showroom ready.

The steering and the suspension are yet to be finessed and much of the cabin plastics are unfinished.

These two cars are part of a fleet of more than 100 identical prototype vehicles being evaluated around the world. Holden will receive up to 10 prototypes over the next 12 months before the car is finally “signed off”.

Because the new Commodore won’t be unveiled until December, Holden is forced to keep the cars camouflaged.
Holden has kept the design of its new Commodore under wraps. Picture: Supplied.

Holden has kept the design of its new Commodore under wraps. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

The disguise may seem over the top, but the car industry is paranoid about buyers losing interest in current models if they see the next one too soon.

Which is why even the interior of this car is cloaked in fabric — to hide interior details and technology from prying eyes and shutter bugs when the cars are parked during real-world testing.

So, what’s it like to drive?

The V6 sounds the same as the current Commodore, which is neither particularly appealing nor particularly offensive.

It has fair amount of grunt (for the tech heads: 230kW of power and 370Nm of torque) for a fleet sedan.

But performance buyers may be disappointed to learn there are no turbochargers on the V6: Holden says there’s not enough room under the bonnet.

Instead, performance has been given a boost by a nine-speed automatic transmission and a drop in the car’s overall weight.

The new Commodore is up to 300kg lighter than the current Australian-made car — and 170kg lighter than the Opel Insignia it replaces.

Armed with all-wheel-drive grip, the new Commodore has a sure-footed feeling. We’re curious to see how the four-cylinder front-drive performs, but that will need to wait for another day. Those cars aren’t here yet.

The seating position is low and sporty and the steering is precise and direct. City drivers might be pleased to know the turning circle is much tighter than the current car — although Holden won’t reveal exact numbers yet.

The other obvious change is size: the new Holden Commodore has shrunk. It’s smaller than the current car and slightly bigger than the model introduced in the late 1990s.

The new Commodore is much narrower than before — so the driver and front passenger are much closer shoulder-to-shoulder. The back seat would struggle to fit three adults across the back, whereas the current car can do that with ease.

Holden says buyers looking to carry a family have migrated to SUVs; sedans are typically bought by fleet buyers these days.

To try to broaden the new Commodore’s appeal, the hatchback lifts up and the back seats fold flat to reveal a massive cargo bay — another attempt to claw back ground from SUVs, which offer more practicality.

With that in mind, the only question left to ask: is it a Commodore?

That’s a tough question to answer. Holden says the Commodore had to move with the times. But did they need to put a Commodore badge on this car?

The early signs are that the new Holden will be a fine vehicle. And it will be loaded with technology, most of which is being kept secret until the formal unveiling in December.

But for me, for now, this is not a Commodore. Regardless of how good it might be.

Holden Commodore

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
"But performance buyers may be disappointed to learn there are no turbochargers on the V6: Holden says there’s not enough room under the bonnet."

They don't know us very well do they.....

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
FWD or AWD, hatch back, 4 cylinder, diesel, none of that is a Commodore...

"There is no V8 — which accounts for more than one-third of sales"... I'm no accountant but cutting off 33.3% of your sales probably isn't good for the bottom line.

They're also saying it's smaller than the VF but bigger than the VT... WTF? That difference would be barely measurable.

Anyhow, the upshot is, and good quality V8 Commodore will certainly hold it's value better once they're no longer being made. I say GOOD quality - i.e. an "enthusiast" type car. And I say "hold value better" rather than just hold value or increase. Both for obvious reasons.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
"But performance buyers may be disappointed to learn there are no turbochargers on the V6: Holden says there’s not enough room under the bonnet."

They don't know us very well do they.....

Literally thought the same thing.

Where there is a will. There is a way.

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Not 100% sure how I feel about it, but at least this is better then not existing at all I guess...

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
dont like, wont be buying

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
a lot said the same about the VF as well , and now that's what they've bought . I'll reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh .
I usually only lurk in the VF section ... but we ONLY bought a VF because the last Strayan V8 (and despite over the years leaning more towards the Blue than the Red camp, Ford just haven't done enough since the FG's launch to interest me - plus lack of a wagon).

But I'm not going to say I wouldn't buy a rebadged Insignia; although it's a shame there's no VXR. Maybe they'll do an up-grunted 4cyl for the VXR, AMG is getting 280kW out of the 2L turbo in the A-series (and also in Nissan's upcoming gerlytrux). I believe the Skoda Superb with the Golf R engine gets pretty close to Redline performance, so it's possible a turbo 4cyl Insignia could go OK ... but I have my doubts.
I just can't see myself being in the market for a large family non-performance sedan any time soon.

The de-camo'd comgens don't look too bad to me (I'd just have to completely ignore the Commodore badge for the affront that it is).

2018_holden_commodore_liftback_rendering_01-3.jpg

2018_holden_commodore_liftback_rendering_02-2.jpg