Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What engine differences between S1 & S2 VNs?

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
What is the engine differences between VN Series 1 and Series 2?

Have an Series 1 1989 engine waiting to go in 1991 VN Series 2.

Cheers
AP

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
1. A bellmouth has been added to the intake manifold to help with idle.
2. Redesigned exshast manifold (like a F not a Fork)
3. Both manual and auto flywheels are the same

there are more things but i forget

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
the s1 has a 6 bolt flywheel and the series 2 has an 8 bolt, the thermostate is located at the front of the intake manifold on the s2 and the s1 is located the arse end of the engine, hence you'll see the hose running back behind. Fuel rail was updated in s2. the radiator has a cap on it, whereas the s1 used the overflow bottle for the main system if you know what i mean. on the very early s1's the zort manifold's flowed better because of shape, kind of a premature extractor like, and thats all i can think of for now
but if your thinking about changing motors between series, ive heard it's way to much hassel, specailly the flywheel,

oh also the s2 has an inspection cover on the tranny whereas the s1 did not

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
yep. I went to have a look at both of my VNs, now i can notice the differences. I'm going ahead doing the engine/transmission swap.

The inlet manifold will be exchanged as well so that it'll look like series 2 anyway. I think that would be all for now.
Cheers
AP

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can't just bolt a series two manifold on a series one engine

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
greenfoam said:
You can't just bolt a series two manifold on a series one engine

Yes you can,
I just did that today, I've fitted series 2 parts on Series 1 engine - didn't have any problems, because I recieved free engine which is Series 1 and man its the cleanest engine I've seen as I took the rocker cover off and there is no thick sludge anywhere to be seen same with the inlet manifold, only light brown could been seen. Only done 292,000 kms. I think its a rebuilt engine, not so sure, but anyway I've fitted series 2 parts on series 1 engine and it started 2 hours ago!.

Anyway I have series 1 parts from the engine - anyone interested to buy?
Cheers
AP

308commodore

308 commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
308 VK CALAIS
I've allready done the engine and box swap. Also there is a restrictor in the series 2 throttle body. Take it out and replace it with a paper gasket,There are 2 wiring plugs that are different, a black one in the engine bay where the engine harness joins the main harness plus there's a white plug that goes to the computer. The plug ends are different. you can either cut the origanal wiring and put on the new plug or you can do what i did and got a couple of spare plugs from the wreckers ( a series 1 engine side plug and a series 2 main plug ) and solder the wiers together to make an adaptor plug so nothing needs to be cut. Same with the white plug that goe's into the computer grab a spare one from a series 1 and series 2 and make an adaptor plug. Without these modifications to the plugs you cannot start the engine because the plugs don't match up. I think i've got a couple of spare adaptor plugs that have allready been soldered up and ready to go so if you are intersted in the plugs or need further imformation please let e know If not good luck
GO THE ALLMIGHTY HOLDEN 308:driving: