Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black and Chrome VR V6

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Black and Chrome VR V6 - now V8

Howdy,

I've had my Commodore since December 2006, so about time I put up some halfway decent pics.

1994 VR Executive V8

Engine Mods: cam, headers, air filter.
Exhaust: Headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust.
Trans: T700
Diff: Standard, non LSD.
Wheels: 17inch chrome.
Tyres: 235/40/17 front and rear, 255/35/17 rears to go on.
Sounds: Panasonic 50x4, Sony Xplod speakers in door pods, Blaupunkt 6x9s in rear. Plus cheap 100W powered sub in boot.
Interior: Custom black, with gunmetal grey on center console. Seat covers only at the moment, but plans for upgraded seats in future.

VR_Jan08_side.jpg
Interior1.jpg
VR_Jan08_rearside.jpg

Last edited:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
That a very nice looking VR, I wish mine was black and supercharged :thumbsup:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
looks awesome mate, the senator grille looks good on the vt kit

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Nice VR mate, the kit and wheels looks very nice on it. What is the next mod planned for it?

alexp36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks hakhawk.

NickVR - I've got the usual performance things in mind for it - limited slip diff, headers. And later, cash permitting, maybe high ratio roller rockers. One thing I don't think I'll bother with is removing the bellmouth - from what I've read the performance gains are either very small, or non-existent.
Also, I've toyed with the idea of getting the s/c pulley machined down a bit, not enough to lose the clutch operation, but hopefully there's enough meat there to get an extra pound of two of pressure.

I really like the wheels, but I wouldn't mind going for a similar style in an 18, also with a bit more "lip" if you know what I mean. Personally I don't so much like the really huge wheels like, 20s, on Commodores.

I would like to get nicer seats too, maybe black leather, or leather look vinyl
Also, after seeing lots of cars on here with no rear spoiler, I've considered taking the one off mine, but I know nothing about body work, so I'll probably just leave it on.

Finally, the paint actually needs some serious attention - it's some sort of custom paint with coloured metal flakes through it - looks really nice in the sun, but it's starting to show some wear - swirls and a few chips. So, I'm seriously considering taking it to a professional, because I don't want to bugger it up trying to fix it myself.

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
nice VR. i've always liked that shape. and 255's on the rear will look pretty mean.
that paint looks awsome in the pics.

do you polish it? i've found using a good (pricey) polish makes a differnece, particularly on darker colours.
i got surprisingly good results from mequires wextech on my black motorbike, it hid all the swirls that you get from washing with even the softest cloth.

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
sexy vr man. how good is that s/c. thinkin of getting one on mine

alexp36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks for the comments.

Beaker,

Yeah, I really like this shape. I'm looking forward to putting the 255s on - I reckon the back guards need to be filled out just a bit more. Just waiting for the 235s to wear out a bit more.
I haven't polished it yet, no. I washed and waxed it a while back, and it came up pretty nice, but like I say it does have a few chips in it too, so I'm trying to decide whether to attempt fixing it myself, or just take it to a professional. Can't recommend a good auto detailer in Auckland can you?
Thanks for the tip on the Meguiars stuff tho, I might try that when I've got a spare weekend.

4BDN_VR,

The s/c is actually a lot of fun. It makes a pretty wicked noise, quite addictive really - I usually start out with it switched off, but once I switch it on for a bit of a squirt, I usually end up leaving it on 'cause it sounds so good.
CRS claim up to 30% power increase. Doesn't seem that much to me, but it does make a bit of a difference. Haven't actually been able to really hold it on through the gears cause the trans is a bit knackered. As mentioned above, I'm getting a rebuilt trans soon (shift kit, yadda yadda), so will be able to have much more fun :D

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
sorry mate, i haven't tried any detailers. so don't know.
i know what you mean about the chips tho.. the front of mine needs some attention too.