Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

specific tools, their use and what they look like

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i dunno i thought this may be a good thread for people who need to know what some of the tools are that are used in panel beating/spray painting. there a lot of obscure tools that are only used for one specific purpose and if you know they exist, it makes life a lot easier.

ill go first with a few i know, im hoping people can add as we go. also i am happy to change stuff if i get any facts wrong.

die grinder:
thumb_die_grinder.jpg

great for grinding out welds in tight corners

body saw:
Air-Body-Saw---File-(9000bpm,-Rear-Exhaust)_gp-848t.jpg

cuts into metal in spots you cant get a normal saw into. great for cutting little holes out.

the wizzy or orbital sander:
Product-2007817101717-2.jpg

used for just about everything. best tool ever.

angle grinder:
Angle-Grinder.jpg

your best buddy, your neighbours worst nightmare

the speed file:
117365_lg.jpg

there are a couple of different types, you got the velcro base and the metal clip end type. pre cut sheets of paper go in it and it allows you to get a nice and even surface.

cross pene hammer:
d2670.jpg

small and light head, with a flat side.

ball pene hammer:
5663501-old-worn-ball-pene-hammer-isolated-on-white.jpg

these are great for making 'dishes' in the metal. get a flat piece of steel and a block of wood and lightly tap in a spiral and itll stretch out the steel and make a dish.

finishing hammer:
pick_finishing_hammer.jpg

completely flat head. used for getting things flat

dead blow hammer:
558369_lg.jpg

filled with lead shot so when you hit something it multiplies the force. but its useful cos' of its soft head which doesnt damage surfaces as badly as a metal mallet.

slide hammer:
slide_hammer.jpg

used for hammering stuff backwards. good for anything you cant get a hammer behind. usually they come with a screw fitting that you drill a hole and screw the fitting into. but also really useful are the door gap fittings that help level the guards/doors.

dollys:
BLP071-007.jpg

various shapes and sizes used for all different jobs

body file (bog file)
file_flexable_closeup_lg.jpg

i havnt got one of these (yet) but want one. they chew into bog like butter and help you shape it. especially edges.

mig welder:
mig-welder-13171.jpg

obviously its for welding

arc welder:
arc_welder.jpg

is from stopping your grage door from blowing open or closed. also holding your boat still while you fish.

tig
0901_hbkp_03_z+product_pictures+miller_tig_welder.jpg

when i get one i will tel you

interface pad:
meguiars-6in-interface-pad.jpg

goes inbetween your wizzy and sanding sheet and helps keep things level. its easy to sand low spots with a wizzy so this stops that from happening (to a degree)

scotchbrite pads:
Scotch-Bride-971538.jpg

for scuffing **** up :)

tack cloth:
Tack-Cloth-671462.jpg

i dont like these orange ones. they are too gluey. the blue ones are brilliant though. they are slightly adhesive and you run them over your panel before you spray. it basically picks up any dust and crap that may be on there.

Last edited:

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
More for your library:

Interface pad, Grey scotch, Red scotch, blend paste, 2:1 basecoat sticks, soft edge foam, soft sand pads, polytex wipes.

could go into more crap but probably irrelevant.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
arc welder:
arc_welder.jpg

is from stopping your grage door from blowing open or closed. also holding your boat still while you fish.

That is 100%, hopeless as things

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
great thread ari!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
More for your library:

Interface pad, Grey scotch, Red scotch, blend paste, 2:1 basecoat sticks, soft edge foam, soft sand pads, polytex wipes.

could go into more crap but probably irrelevant.

interface pad:
meguiars-6in-interface-pad.jpg

scotchbrite pads:
Scotch-Bride-971538.jpg

i must admit i have NFI what blend paste, 2:1 basecoat sticks, soft edge foam, soft sand pads are. and i assume that polytex wipes are the same as tack cloth:
Tack-Cloth-671462.jpg

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
blend paste is a product used with grey scotchbrite, it just help 'flatten' the paint. it's ok but you could just buy p1000 blend discs and get the same affect, 2:1 sticks are just to measure your paint when making ready for use. soft edge foam is useless, just back mask you lazy bastard... lol. and polytex wipes are lint free wipes for wiping on/off wax and grease remover.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
blend paste:
images

Polytex wipes
images

soft edge foam
BlobServlet

soft rubbing blocks
HoleyTerror_thumb.jpg

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
soft edge foam is the bomb, no papering at all, just foam inside your door and your done. Brilliant ****! how in any way could it be percieved as useless!? lol oh well your loss my friend :p

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
What is soft edge foam used for?

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
example: when you are painting the side of a car, you use soft foam for in the gaps of the door so overspray doesn't seep inside the doors, its just round foam with a sticky strip on it. It removes the need to spend ages back masking and papering inside your doors when it comes time to paint. And because its a soft foam, you get no edges, unlike backmasking where you can sometimes get a hard edge from where the tape has stuck down.

I love the stuff, you literally stick it onto the edge of the inside of the door or on the quarter (or wherever you are painting) and just shut the door. Job Done.