Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Enamel paint question

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Hi all,

Just finished painting an outboard engine cover using genuine Yamaha silver blue metallic paint. I assumed it was an acrylic paint but a bit of online research reveals it's enamel product, so I went and brought an enamel clear and threw on a couple of coats. It looks ok, but nothing flash. My experience is only acrylic so I'm wondering about compounding/polishing enamel. Or is enamel set and forget.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Yeah you can cut and polish enamel..main issue is its a soft paint which takes about 16 years to fully dry :) give it a couple of mths to harden before you hack into it

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Damn Wozza, I wish you posted this earlier as I got stuck into a section over the weekend and made it look worse. Still, it looks 10x better than it did. Cheers.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Next time you use enamel use a hardener with it.
I sprayed my boat with enamel and hardener left it for a week cut it back with 2000 wet and dry to remove the orange peel polished it and it came up like a mirror.
That was 15 months ago and it still looks the same.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Yamaha paint came in a rattle can so I wasn't able to add anything to it.

Yeah I've got acrylic paint to come up like glass many times using the same method as you ie 2000 grit and compound polish. Satisfying, if annoying work.