Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'07 Calais Front Wheel Noise

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by adclawrence, Mar 17, 2017.

1. adclawrence

adclawrence New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Calais 3.6
    Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I bought my first Commodore, a 2007 Calais 3.6 with 116,000 on the clock and I'm pretty stoked with it! Drives beautifully and is such a smooth and powerful beast compared to the '03 Astra 1.8 it replaced.

But I've noticed with the Calais a strange noise coming from the front left hand side wheel; a sort of humming/vibration noise but only between 55-65km/h and 75-85km/h. I shifted into neutral to see if its gearbox related or an engine noise but that makes no difference. Just happens when the car is going at those speeds.

Any ideas? I bought this car private and apart from that noise it drives very well.
    Cheers guys.

2. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Possibly a wheel bearing but that's only a wild guess based on your description.
    Does the noise come and go when turning left and right?
    Check the wheel nuts aren't loose too!

3. adclawrence

adclawrence New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Calais 3.6
    I'll have a look at the wheel in the morning and check that everything is done up right.

If I'm going 60 and the noise is present, swerving left and right makes no difference.

4. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Ok that's different. Run your hand around the tyre tread, is it smooth or worn unevenly and jagged ? That would mean poor alignment, worn suspension but your noise doesn't quite fit.
    Jack it up and shake the wheel top - bottom and left-right and check for play.