Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

09 VE Air Con Issues.....

darlilodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE International Sportswagon
Hi Guys,

Recently acquired a 09 VE International Sportswagon - have been having issues with the air con. First time I noted it was a really hot day and it had been in the sun, I booted it (to overtake) and the air con cut out - just blew hot air at me - and wouldn't come back on. I stopped at my destination about 10 mins later, turned ignition off and on again, and the air con light came on and the car cooled down again. This has happened twice. The other issue is that when the air con is on recycle I start to get exhaust fumes from other cars in front of me coming through for about 30 seconds. The recycle light doesn't go off, and I am not usually driving more than 30km in distance.It doesnt happen ever time I drive it, but regularly enough for me to be concerned. I am still under dealers warranty and I rang to discuss this with them only to be told "Oh yeah VE's do that, its to stop a build up carbon monoxide inside the vehicle, and stop people going to sleep at the wheel." I explained that there could hardly be a build up after driving 15-30kms and the car has barely warmed up. Shouldnt there be a gauge that monitors how long the air con has been on if that was the case? I get the impression they are telling me anything because lets face it, Im a female who doesnt have too much mechanical experience, however even Im not stupid enough to fall for that line! Can anyone let me know possible causes? The car is going back before the warranty is up, but I dont want them to try to serve me a load of BS just to get me out of there.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Since you got a VE International Sportswagon, I'll pull out all the stops and try to help;).

a) Air con will cut off if you boot it, but it 'should' come back on when driving normally. If you are definitely sure this has happened a few times, then this on its own would make me go to dealer for a warranty check. Dealers will do and say anything to stretch your problem out of warranty period, AND THEN be happy to charge you an arm and a leg to fix it (or at least try to). If you have an issue you can replicate, book it in and detail the problem. Make sure its noted on the reciept when they give it back to you.... so that way if the issue hasnt gone (but the warranty period has!) you've got ammo to still get it fixed because it was an issue not rectified during warranty.

b) With the vent issue, what setting did you have the recycle on? ie Feet, Head, Window etc? Recycle wont work if on any of the window settings, but should block the vents enough to stop stinky cars in front. They dont close completely (for the same reason already given regarding carbon monoxide), but should close enough to stop exhaust fumes. You can try a reset of the air con flaps by:

Ign on but engine off, press and hold the rear demister button till you hear all the actuators moving.
They are fairly quiet so close all the doors and windows so you can hear them working.

They might be a little out of wack and letting in too much air. Who knows, but a reset cant hurt!

Make 100% sure you have an air con fault (or not), and if you do get it logged straight away. If you are still in warranty there cant be much left, so dont stuff around.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Since you got a VE International Sportswagon, I'll pull out all the stops and try to help;).

a) Air con will cut off if you boot it, but it 'should' come back on when driving normally. If you are definitely sure this has happened a few times, then this on its own would make me go to dealer for a warranty check. Dealers will do and say anything to stretch your problem out of warranty period, AND THEN be happy to charge you an arm and a leg to fix it (or at least try to). If you have an issue you can replicate, book it in and detail the problem. Make sure its noted on the reciept when they give it back to you.... so that way if the issue hasnt gone (but the warranty period has!) you've got ammo to still get it fixed because it was an issue not rectified during warranty.

Not true. Items reported under warranty remain covered by warranty until repaired regardless of when said warranty expires.

There is an issue where the ECU doesnt command the AC back on after a full throttle event. This is rectified with revised ECM software.

b) With the vent issue, what setting did you have the recycle on? ie Feet, Head, Window etc? Recycle wont work if on any of the window settings, but should block the vents enough to stop stinky cars in front. They dont close completely (for the same reason already given regarding carbon monoxide), but should close enough to stop exhaust fumes. You can try a reset of the air con flaps by:

Ign on but engine off, press and hold the rear demister button till you hear all the actuators moving.
They are fairly quiet so close all the doors and windows so you can hear them working.

They might be a little out of wack and letting in too much air. Who knows, but a reset cant hurt!

Make 100% sure you have an air con fault (or not), and if you do get it logged straight away. If you are still in warranty there cant be much left, so dont stuff around.

The AC system will switch to Fresh on it's own even when Recirc is selected for reasons already mentioned. (While in normal Recirc mode the Fresh door is fully closed contrary to the above.)

This is called a purge and will last for 10mins before returning to Recirc mode.

The time it takes to activate varies with ambient temp and different models.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just to clarify it can occur after as little as 15mins driving in Recirc mode.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Interesting fact. In recirculated mode, air quality drops by 55% within 20-30 minutes.

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
The other issue is that when the air con is on recycle I start to get exhaust fumes from other cars in front of me coming through for about 30 seconds.

You can use pollution mode, it selects recirculation when the vehicle speed is less than 15km/h to prevent exhaust fumes entering the interior in heavy, stop start traffic.
To switch on or off press & hold recirculate for 4 seconds. Pollution Mode On or Pollution Mode Off appear on the display.

Sometimes it pays to read the owners manual lol ;)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Not true. Items reported under warranty remain covered by warranty until repaired regardless of when said warranty expires.

That's what I was saying Ricey. You gotta report it within warranty for it to be covered later on if still not fixed.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I was referring to you saying dealers will try to stretch the problem beyond warranty then charge you for it. This isnt the case as the dealer gets reimbursed for warranty costs so they having nothing to gain by not fixing the issue.