Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17" Simmons on VK - photos please

LS3VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
Hi all, just about to place an order for a set of 17" Simmons single piece rims. Hoping anyone with these rims could post some pics (on the car). My rears will be 235x45 and fronts 215x45 but I am more interested in sighting the rim diameter on the car. cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all, just about to place an order for a set of 17" Simmons single piece rims. Hoping anyone with these rims could post some pics (on the car). My rears will be 235x45 and fronts 215x45 but I am more interested in sighting the rim diameter on the car. cheers

You won't be fitting 215/45's to the front...Unless you want to make the car unroadworthy.

Up side.....Most tyre shops these days, actually place a rim up beside your car, so you get an idea what it looks like. Gives you the perfect idea what it looks like

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
You won't be fitting 215/45's to the front...Unless you want to make the car unroadworthy.

Actually 17s on any model Commodore VB- VP is unroadworthy
all states AFAIK follow the +1" rule and the biggest wheel GMH released on those
models is a 15incher

you can go 16" (as HDT with their mod addons) but 17s are not legal
(maybe only with an engineers report?)

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I think it's the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination that determines the legality of the wheel. The +1" rule went out some time ago I think you will find.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think you will find the rolling diameter needs to be within 15mm of original.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually 17s on any model Commodore VB- VP is unroadworthy
all states AFAIK follow the +1" rule and the biggest wheel GMH released on those
models is a 15incher

you can go 16" (as HDT with their mod addons) but 17s are not legal
(maybe only with an engineers report?)

That rule went out about 15 years ago.....The old rule used to be 2" bigger than the biggest factory option available........So considering a VK did come with a 16" rim, you are in correct in your statement to begin with...16" Brockadore wheels were classed as a factory option. And even the 15" wheel fitted to the VB still meant a 17" wheel was still legal to fit way back then

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Underload rated and under sized in the rolling diametre area

So he could fit a 215 R17 tire as long as it has a suitable size side wall to fall withing the overall rolling diameter rule with the appropriate load rating.....

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
That rule went out about 15 years ago.....The old rule used to be 2" bigger than the biggest factory option available........So considering a VK did come with a 16" rim, you are in correct in your statement to begin with...16" Brockadore wheels were classed as a factory option. And even the 15" wheel fitted to the VB still meant a 17" wheel was still legal to fit way back then

all that is a crock...

the rule in Victoria was ALWAYS only +1 .. based on the MANUFACTURERS spec. NO VK Commodore ANY MODEL came with a standard 16" wheel!
period!
(beware that Vic police know this as I have been always been informed now and then by my next door and cousin who are Vicpol members (one at the Moorabbin traffic management unit).... despite what car clubs and social media say) HDT took advantage to go 16s ....but they does not allow you to go 16 +1!

HDT Commodore 16" wheels are NOT a factory option, never were, never will be, they were always a HDT option. The 16 inchers were supplied to GMH by HDT and if requested by the buyer fitted then .

so as I have previously stated, 17 inch (or larger wheels ) on any Commodore are unroadworthy in Vic .. and if my neighbour or cousin spot you with them and they are having a bad day.. they say so will you ! There is a but though....

If you have an engineers report for larger wheels. keep it in the car!