Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 boxes or 1 big one?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok cool, So just so we are on the same page that is for 2 drivers?

When it comes to the shape of the box I am assuming that isn't overly important as long as I meet the required volume as I am wanting to build it so that part of the box will sit on the diff hump so I can utilize as much of the boot as possible.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yep volume rules over shape.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
How much power do you have?
I did a similar style box in my wagon before going to 15s, 2 x Jaycar 12s and my Schneider amp.....from memory 144s at 40hz on my meter at the time (so 140-141db on Termlab) but sounded great on most types of music, 1 x 6" port meant i could safely give each sub around 5x their rated wattage for extended periods.
If i were you i'd go with a single 6" port, just make the box abit wider than i did (another thing i was testing). Use a minimum of 18mm MDF too, the larger panels will flex with a fair amount of power and can cause leaks in anything thinner (16mm included), leaks arent good for those Pioneers ;)

holdenboy-albums-my-commodore-wagon-picture87148-first-box-2-x-jaycar-12s-around-4-cu-ft-volume-1-x-6-port-sounded-decent-music.jpg

I know, i know.....its a poor example of a box but i think it was in the car for 3 maybe 4 days and ended up in the box cemetary ;)

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Thanks for the input holdenboy, so are you saying I should go with a box bigger than the maximum recommended by Pioneer. As mentioned before Pioneer say a max of 2.05 cu.ft (58 liters) where as WinISD is telling me 3.33 cu.ft (94.5 liters) for a single sub situation.

I was planning on using 18mm MDF as I have been warned about using anything smaller. As for the port what are the advantages of using such a huge port? Would you get the same result with two 3" ports?

As for power I am running two mono blocks. One for each sub. One is a Kenwood KAC-8105D, that is 1000w max and 500w RMS @ 2 ohms. The other is a cheap 900w Jensen I bought when I first started doing my car audio and that is around 450w RMS @ 2 ohms from memory. I hope to replace the Jensen sometime down the track and get another Kenwood so as to keep the amps the same.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Manufacturers usually give the smallest box possible as their recommended (for both sealed and ported)....so a small box with a small port wont sound anywhere near as good as a larger box with larger port/s. If you can fit 5.0+ cu.ft. in your boot then i'd do that, then probably use a slot port on one side of the box (easier to make over round ports)......5-6cm wide and 30-35cm deep sounds about right, can always tune lower if needed.
Single ports are always going to be louder, theres probably alot of theory behind it....i just know the practical ;)

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok excellent, well i have planned a box around 6.7 cu.ft. Not sure if it will fit or not, will have to build a cardboard one first just to check :p

Never thought of doing a slot port but it would make life a lot easier. Really appreciate your help holdenboy and acarmody :thumbsup:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
6.7 cu.ft. is a touch too big IMO, keep the gross volume about 6 cu.ft. and after displacement it should come down to around 5.5-5.6? There's also the matter of making the box too big it dosent allow enough of the air pressure to circulate around the box (assuming your going to have the box firing rearwards).....you should be able to have atleast 6" of room on between the box and the tailights.

Slot ports are easier to make and tune, just make the port wall remove-able so you can adjust the tuning.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok cool, smaller works for me anyway. Cheaper and more free room in the boot. I will aim towards 5-5.5 cu.ft after sub displacement then.

Yeah I quite like the idea of a slot port as well. I figure I can put one in the middle, bottom or top of the box to keep it all looking symmetrical :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
All I can say is good luck getting that into the boot. :)

You building this yourself? And definitely want pics as you go.