Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 boxes or 1 big one?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ive experimented alot with interchangeable ports using the same box and one thing i did find (with my car certainly, might not apply to your car) is that changing only the port depth does not change the peak frequency IN CAR......only the level (db) changes.
But, if you were to change the box volume by using something inside the box you can remove through the sub holes....for example some MDF offcuts or bricks, adding these will increase the peak frequency (depending on how much volume you displace) which will be better for SPL, removing them will lower the peak which is better for music.

So yeah, if you are sure you can fit the 4.8 cu.ft. box in there go for it, try to tune the ports to about 38-40hz, should peak in your car around 45-46hz......maybe not the best for SQ but will get mighty loud playing most music types. Then for SPL add the required amount to get your volume down to say 4.5 maybe even lower and this should see your peak frequency come up to 49-50hz.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok well I might need to experiment a bit then when the time comes. However it looks like I may need to put this on hold for a little while. I have been looking high and low for another Pioneer TS-W307D4 to replace the Kenwood sub I borrowed from my bother and I cannot find one anywhere!

So unless I can find one all this work is going to be going to waste as I will need to get two different subs therefore changing the required capacity and what not. Regardless of that I really have found this thread extremely helpful and I really have learnt a hell of a lot. Ported enclosures no longer scare me. Big thanks to both holdenboy and acarmody, I will make sure I keep you guys informed when I figure out what to do with this sub situation.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Actually already spoke to them. Did their online chat thing and they told me they have no more in stock and no way of getting any. Also hunted around on eBay and called autobarn and motoquipe. Both have said they can't help. So far the only one I have been able to track down is one on the US eBay site but it will cost me $120 to get it freighted :(

Really am rather disappointed about this, surely someone has left over stock.

Edit: Oh sorry didn't realize you posted to links, I saw the ryda one and jumped the gun. That PPA place looks promising but as you said not the cheapest. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks a lot acarmody.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Thanks again acarmody will give that place a call as well tomorrow sometime.

The reason I am looking for the TS-W307D4 is because I already have one and am looking for another one to replace my Kenwood sub so that I don't have mixed subs. I am sure there is nothing at all wrong with the current model it just isn't what I need.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Again, no problems. If I can find any more dealers I'll let you know.

I used to have 2 of those TS-W307s in sealed boxes running on just 700wrms, and the first time I turned it up the friggin hairs on my legs started vibrating. So fair warning to you, beware when you turn them up as they will cause chronic ticklishness, LOL.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
I will do that if only if I have to. I am happy with my current 307 and it will be cheaper for me to try and track down another 307 than it would be for me to buy two more.