Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 VZ Commodore "Check Power Train"

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Well that's good Scott can look at it for you.

Everyone always bags out Holden Service Centres but there are some good techs out there that try their hardest for the customers.

Let us know how you go.

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
OK, I got it back and the result was that there is a cable break somewhere between the mass airflow sensor and the ECU.

Now to go pull off all the plastic covers and find the damn sensor...

anybody have a wiring diagram?

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
If your talking about the Mass airflow sensor it's just after the air box along the intake pipe, perhaps it's not connecting properly because it seems strange to have a break in the cable, it's all protected. Maybe just pull it out and check no pins are bent, out of place or contaminants, from there you can trace it back to wherever it goes, probably straight to the ecu

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Yeah always test for tightness of connections first. If there is any corrosion on the pins/socket best go and see if there is something that can be used to spay on it at an auto elec

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
Thanks guys i shall check as soon as I'm home today :)

I'm hoping its something either with the plug or the sensor itself. I dread following wires under the dash

V

Vzniko

G'day all!

I wish I could say my first post here was a bit happier! I just got hold of a 2004 VZ commodore which is otherwise in great nick except for the following problem. When i start the engine cold, it does it check etc.... and comes up with "Check Power train". It doesn't idle properly and if I put my foot on the accelerator it nearly stalls and misbehaves. After a moment it will rev up but once i take my foot off, it does it again. Once it 'warms up' it seems to go OK but seeing as my drive to work only lasts 1 minute it is pretty annoying...

I have had a look around and people have had SIMILAR problems (but not quite the same) so I don't want to go out and buy $120 O2 sensors without at least getting a few extra opinions specific to my problem. I have a couple of other questions too... should the engine still run OK without the O2 sensors connected (ie can I just unplug them to rule them out)? Does this car have an APS or TPS and would this cause the problem? What other things could be at fault?

I am trying to contact the last owned to find out if it started happening straight away or if it was a gradual thing.

Thanks heaps for any help!

Tim

Exactly the same problem as you, have had it since my car done 90,000K and I am on the 148,000K mark and I Finally fixed it!
It is the coil packs. IT is a very common problem. Coil packs stuff up around 100,000K mark.
Now it will cost you around $150 each not including labour, at the mechanics, but I found them at my local repco store for $50 each.
Took me a couple of hours, not a hard job. While you are in there change the spark plugs too (Get the platinum ones if you can afford it).

Okamii90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
I got the same problem with mine. idles rough as guts and of course " Check Power Train " code on the display. Can anyone recommend a scan tool that would help me find the problem ?? I cant seem to find anyone to come look at it, as its unregistered and please don't recommend holden to check it because they are the ones who caused the code to come up in the first place =/

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
I got the same problem with mine. idles rough as guts and of course " Check Power Train " code on the display. Can anyone recommend a scan tool that would help me find the problem ?? I cant seem to find anyone to come look at it, as its unregistered and please don't recommend holden to check it because they are the ones who caused the code to come up in the first place =/

if holden really are the ones who caused it you should have no issues taking it back - they are accountable for all of their work just like any mechanic in australia. it would be silly to buy a scantool or pay to have it scanned if that's the case. dare i ask what work they were doing on the car at the time and why you think they caused it?

Also, in QLD you can drive an unregistered vehicle "to apply for registration" without having to get a permit and you can get a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle for the purpose of getting it repaired... so nothing really stopping you taking it somewhere to get looked at if you don't want to try yourself. Unregistered vehicle permit | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government

To answer your question, if you want your own scan tool there are many options... but something like this is the "proper" tool: Tech 2 Scan Tool Diagnostic Free Express Post | eBay

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
have a look on ebay for a elm 327 around $20 or cheaper just plug it in under dash download free app called torque on your phone connect by Bluetooth and bingo check faults on phone I have the same fault I borrowed this tool from my brother inlaw and works a treat my faults are multi misfire code p300 and p306 which is missing on plug six just waiting for parts to change you can also delete codes with this tool good luck