Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006/2007 VE Model's Check Engine Light Occurring Frequently?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
There is also revised ECU software released this year for MY07 and MY08 VE V6s in regards to timing chain/camshaft crankshaft position DTCs.

I would recommend first trying the revised software before committing to renewing the chains.

bdv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
Just straight up get the software. I did and it worked out fine "knock on wood" car drives really nicely and no more chimes. And especially after I got the seatbelt extension. I hate dings in the commodore.

mattcs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Calais V
Calais timing chain

Just straight up get the software. I did and it worked out fine "knock on wood" car drives really nicely and no more chimes. And especially after I got the seatbelt extension. I hate dings in the commodore.

So I have a 2006 Calais and dealer reckons its the timing chain which I think is crap as only done 86000 klms?

gees

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
check engine light ...if ya mileage is 100k plus...would b a timing chain sensor..

Hey mate.
First time JC user, long time reader.

I too have recently bought a 2007 Commodore Lumina, and just today, I took it to my mechanic for a local service.

Apparently, due to a design flaw, around the 100 000 or so mark, the timing chain becomes loose and starts rubbing on a 'check engine' sensor in the immediate vicinity.

I have only begun to look into the said flaw, and will return once I have a clearer picture.

However, I think you might need to replace the belt. (Mechanic said you might even need a new engine, but I recon it's just a scare tactic).

If you do find the source of the problem, please be sure to let us know.

Regards,
S

Would b timing chain sensor...get this immediately looked at
Ive ignored this & now done the chain...maybe head & pistons
in process of stripping...what a mission...(any mecanics nightmare)

gees

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
check engine light ...if ya mileage is 100k plus...would b a timing chain sensor..

Hey mate.
First time JC user, long time reader.

I too have recently bought a 2007 Commodore Lumina, and just today, I took it to my mechanic for a local service.

Apparently, due to a design flaw, around the 100 000 or so mark, the timing chain becomes loose and starts rubbing on a 'check engine' sensor in the immediate vicinity.

I have only begun to look into the said flaw, and will return once I have a clearer picture.

However, I think you might need to replace the belt. (Mechanic said you might even need a new engine, but I recon it's just a scare tactic).

If you do find the source of the problem, please be sure to let us know.

Regards,
S

Would b timing chain sensor...get this immediately looked at
Ive ignored this & now done the chain...maybe head & pistons
in process of stripping...what a mission...(any mecanics nightmare)

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
I have been browsing the forum for a fix.
I have the same problem
Late 2007 Holden Ve Commodore 135,000KM the ESP turns off by itself (unable to turn back on) Check Engine Light then ESP turns back on. Car runs fine though... And this cycle repeats itself.
Have taken it to mechanics for service- All Fluids Changed, Air Filter etc but still have same problem.
Mechanic Scanned with the following error message- Air Flow Error, Altinator Charge Error and Speed Sensor Error.
The commodore still needs new platinum spark plugs and new battery (although battery was checked and still 50% charge) so hopefully will fix some errors.
Will try cleaning MAF and ABS sensor.
One thing I have notice, was had to replace right rear wheel with a used tyre due to puncture and I've had these problems ever since.
Anyway Will report back

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
voltage is critical, it will bring up a fault and esp problems, how old is your battery if more than 3yrs looks like it may need replacing do you mean CCA test on battery (with a load tester) clean maf, possible loom fault (known fault-google on here) for the rear sensor will cause esp/abs could be ratshit sensor

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
voltage is critical, it will bring up a fault and esp problems, how old is your battery if more than 3yrs looks like it may need replacing do you mean CCA test on battery (with a load tester) clean maf, possible loom fault (known fault-google on here) for the rear sensor will cause esp/abs could be ratshit sensor

not sure how the mechanics tested but havent replaced the bettery since i bought the car new in 2008, so it's done its job.
will suggest the above faults to my mechanic. thanks mate

rooboy1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
I have a 2008 VE SS, engine light and ESP is intermittent. Have had it all tested and no issues. Engine light has been on all this week and ESP intermittent again. Read this thread and thought hhmmm maybe pump the tyres, boom engine light gone and no ESP probs since.... ffs!

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
I have a 2008 VE SS, engine light and ESP is intermittent. Have had it all tested and no issues. Engine light has been on all this week and ESP intermittent again. Read this thread and thought hhmmm maybe pump the tyres, boom engine light gone and no ESP probs since.... ffs!

Nice dig! If you really want to know buy an obd scanner