Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 SV6 Stretched Timing Chain

kelngaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 06 commodore
I have a 2006 SV6 VE.
Last week the engine warning light came on. Today my brother in law brought around his Garmin GPS that has a ECORoute HD Diagnostics.
I have discovered that it has 2 error codes P0008 & P0017. My Car has 112000km on it and is out of Warranty, so looks like
I will be forking out $3000 for this repair. Will be talking to Holden Dealer first thing Monday.
Hopefully they can fix it before Christmas. Great Christmas present :cry:
its a fault in the vz/ve commodores. fight with holden and try and get your money back. it has happened to a lot of people. should of been a recall.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archi...4154#r28824222 check out this link.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Cool story. How was this worth digging the thread for?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If this was recalled during the GFC it would have been curtains for GM and maybe Holden. Instead they just give people good will instead, and come out looking like nice guys.
Anyway, once its fixed it should be right for the cars life

Jawed

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 2 vx equipe v6
Older v6 Holden's are trouble free in oct 2011 I bought a 2002 vx most reliable car I have owned my previous car was a 05 vz with good service history 3month after purchase date timing chain and other issues occurred lucky my mate is a mechanic fixed the timing chain and traded the car to a workmate with $3000 grand in my pocket plus his vx 6 month ago he sold the vz and I'm driving with a big smile on my face

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Older v6 Holden's are trouble free in oct 2011 I bought a 2002 vx most reliable car I have owned my previous car was a 05 vz with good service history 3month after purchase date timing chain and other issues occurred lucky my mate is a mechanic fixed the timing chain and traded the car to a workmate with $3000 grand in my pocket plus his vx 6 month ago he sold the vz and I'm driving with a big smile on my face

You brought this thread back to life just to give me a headache deciphering your post?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

And you spent that whole $3,000 on drugs?

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Not impressed to say the least...........had an 'check engine' warning come up on Tuesday......VE Calais, 87000k's........ seemed a lil' sluggish in the acceleration department.
Dropped it into my local mechanic who checked with the scantool diagnostic.....

Fault code: Crankshaft/ Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible

Cleared it, test drove it... no probs........... so I've been to work and home, home to work, up to the shops...... no worries:mad: leave the goddamn shops and guess whats showing up again.....

..........and the mechanic did mention the problem with stretched chains for future reference, Dammit!! :(

so........ I guess I cover the warning logo with some masking tape and forget it huh?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Why wasn't every commodore effected? If the chain was weak and stretched, why wasn't every commodore in this range effected with this fault? Obviously driving style and the led foot would play a role in putting strain on the chain and influencing it to stretch faster then a grandmother behind the wheel who doesn't go past 2500rpm unless she's late to bowls. But my ve v 06 now has 140,000 and never had this fault.