Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE Calais V - Steering Wheel Replacment

BG75

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden Calais VE V SIDI
Hi - the leather detailing has started to come apart on the steeling wheel so i'm thinking of replacing it with either an SS one or any ideas or suggestions on what type of steering wheels people have swapped over on their VE Calais, and what suits.

Also - Is it easy to change over myself, or with the electronics/airbags, is it best to get it professionally don

Cheers
BG

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
depends on how confident you are on removing the air bag...

i've swapped mine out for an hsvi wheel, there was nothing wrong with my factory wheel, just the price was good.

i did mine myself, i've removed a few air bags to be confident enough on my own car, but there are plenty of walkthroughs on here to help out

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi there,

Its easy enough to do yourself, you will just need to pull the airbag fuse (Precautionary measure), and you will need a T50 Torx bit (Which you can get from super cheap or somewhere like this).
If you currently have a Calais V steering wheel (Which is the same as Statesman, Caprice and SSV models), then you will probably either want to stick to that model, or go for a HSV or HSVi model.
(HSVi models have coloured trim inserts, and were factory / dealer fit options when buying the car).
The HSV steering wheel was only fitted to HSV models, and was not an option when buying Holden models, however you can get your hands on them fairly easily from the usual sources these days.

The HSV steering wheel has a flat bottom (Which is good if you have your seat close to the pedals / steering wheel, as it makes getting in and out of the car a little easier).
It also features very chunky grips, and perforated leather.

The HSV steering wheel would be my first choice, then it would be a close choice between the HSVi and the Calais V/ SSV steering wheel.
(HSV steering wheels have sold on fleabay for around $400 to $500 for brand new models).

Information on steering wheel removal can also be found here
www.carmodder.com • Changing the Steering Wheel and Wheel Controls for the Holden VE Commodore

I hope this helps.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Depending on which one you choose you may need to replace the spokes and rear cover (cheap parts from holden). I dont know if it is true or not however I here it is better to disconnect the battery as opposed to pulling the airbag fuse. This is because if you forget about the fuse and turn the car on you will get an airbag fault but if you remove the battery you cant get the fault (don't know how true that last bit is).

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I fitted a flat bottom wheel to a car that had a normal wheel. Looking at the two you think theres a bit of a difference but if you actually put them against each other there is stuff all difference in clearance at the base, I was surprised at how little it was.

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
I fitted a flat bottom wheel to a car that had a normal wheel. Looking at the two you think theres a bit of a difference but if you actually put them against each other there is stuff all difference in clearance at the base, I was surprised at how little it was.

wow i always presumed the calais at least the calais V had the flat bottomed wheel. atleast mine has must of been fitted by the previous owner. mine does not have the HSVi or ( holden by design) build/no. plates. would you think it was possible to go to holden and get one?