Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SSV vs 2007 BF MKII XR6 Turbo. Which one would you choose?

VE SSV or BF MKII XR6 Turbo?

• VE SSV

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • BF MKII XR6 Turbo

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

So basically, I am trying to decide if I would be as happy (if not more happy) if I had the BF MKII XR6 Turbo over my VE SSV Wagon (6.0L Manual).

I financed my VE SSV last year, and then a couple of months later I financed a 2013 Toyota Hiace Van for work (Contractor for Australia Post/Star Track).
Now I am thinking of selling my VE SSV to pay out the loan, so I am only paying off one car then, and buying something like an XR6 Turbo with cash.

Every time I drive my SSV, I find it so hard to come to terms with the fact that it might end up getting sold. I really don't want to sell it as it's the best car I have ever owned and I love it.
It's mainly thinking of it in a financial way, so I can have more money to myself, instead of most of it going to car payments for the next 5 or so years.

Would just like some peoples thoughts. I have not test driven an XR6 Turbo yet, but I know it wouldn't be as powerful (stock) as my SSV.
Should I sell the SSV to pay out the loan, or, try to stick it out and keep paying it off?

Cheers,
Ben

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Really 2 different cars. BF XR6 Turbo will probably surprise you performance wise. They have their own quirks and issues like diff bushes for example. Your best bet would be to drive one and make your own determinations as you will always get people who love either car and are biased as a result.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
The BF XR6 Turbo is pretty damn fast. The tiptronic is also pretty decent.

But you would really need to drive it to make an informed decision for yourself.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
I'm sort of in the same boat, car wise as I'm thinking about selling the VE and getting an F6. One of the biggest difference's will be the interior. While the VE is nothing amazing its a nicer place to sit than the BF's. Both Ford and Holden really stepped their game up in that department for the FG/VE.

You'd probably be best of taking a few BF's for a drive and seeing how you like it. People can say anything they want, and give any advice they want that goes with their preferences and bias's, the only way to know if you'll enjoy it is to test drive one.

All that said selling the VE to pay out the loan and then buying a cheaper car to have fun with is smart.

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
Obviously the SSV was the car you wanted when you bought it and you said you cant believe you might have to sell it.
Keep making payments, unless your in dire straits and enjoy otherwise you'll be loosing money and then getting a car your not so sure on.
Just my experience/opinion!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Have you done your sums yet? Value wise I don't think you'll be able to outright pick up an FG XR6T for the cash you sell your VE for.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
Have you done your sums yet? Value wise I don't think you'll be able to outright pick up an FG XR6T for the cash you sell your VE for.

To add something else to the equation, if you have maintained your VE and its in nice order, then at least you know what you have.
Buying a 8-11 year old second hand car with little knowledge of history and treatment can be a costly exercise... sometimes you're better off with the devil you know than that devil you don't.