Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] 2010 V8 Calais oil leak

Knoxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE CalaisV
Hi all,

Looking for advice.
Firstly I know zero about cars however I love me V8 Calais!!!
Sitting at Melbourne airport and oil warning comes on for the 1st time, thought there should be enough to get me home to check. After checking it was bone dry, thought the warning was to advise it needed oil not that it's empty.
I now notice small oil deposits on the ground and a hit of burning oil when the heater is on.
Could anyone suggest why the light came on when it was out of oil and what issues I may have in fixing the leak & smell
:surprise:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Contrary to popular belief, the oil light actually doesn't measure the amount of oil in the car.

It actually tells you when you have lost oil pressure (a loss of oil pressure can be caused by any number of things, you could still have all your oil and have no oil pressure.)

In your case you lost oil pressure because you had no oil.

If you can see spots of oil on the ground and on the exhaust it could be anything from a leaky oil pressure switch (easy as pie for a mechanic to fix) to a rear main seal which is a big job.

Take it to a mechanic, get them to put it up on the hoist and check for leaks.

If you haven't done so yet, top the oil up before driving any further, you can damage the engine or potentially destroy it running it with low oil pressure.