Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016-2017

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Multinationals have nothing to do with it. If my business is going bad because I am not selling a product my customer wants will I get a government handout when I'm about to go bankrupt?

You need to think outside your parameters. First, they aren't going bankrupt. Second, their point is that less people are buying locally designed and manufactured Holdens than they have for many years, but the imported models are still selling well. New models have been introduced this year - one only in the past month. Hardly the actions of a bankrupt.

The government can call the shots regarding financial support but the ramifications, economically, commercially AND politically, need to be carefully weighed up. Funny how you choose to drive an FG yet don't appear to give a stuff about the future of Australian car manufacture.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
You need to think outside your parameters. First, they aren't going bankrupt. Second, their point is that less people are buying locally designed and manufactured Holdens than they have for many years, but the imported models are still selling well. New models have been introduced this year - one only in the past month. Hardly the actions of a bankrupt.

The government can call the shots regarding financial support but the ramifications, economically, commercially AND politically, need to be carefully weighed up. Funny how you choose to drive an FG yet don't appear to give a stuff about the future of Australian car manufacture.

possibly the actions of over-draft???

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
It's funny how the younger members of the forum are so attached to the "Commodore" nameplate and dread the thought that it might either be attached to some "unsuitable" design, such as an SUV, or dropped altogether. Prior to 1978, the name didn't exist in Australia and it was imported from Opel. Before the Commodore came along, we had the Monaro or GTS to satisfy ourselves with, and both those names, which were just as iconic as "Commodore" is today, were dropped. So what?

Older members of the forum probably don't give a rat's ass if the name dies - I'd just like to think that whatever it's called, it's designed and built here. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall and, whatever configuration it comes in, it is likely to be a Daewoo product with some Aussie design and engineering input, maybe some local components like panels and trim and maybe even the engine if it keeps the V6.

lol but they didnt give the monaro name to a FRICKEN SUV

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

I choose a car that met the criteria for what I was looking for, where it was made wasn't one of them.
My example was an extreme one, but I still stand by it. Why should a company be propped up with tax dollars?

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Why should a company be propped up with tax dollars?

IF they are making a product locally AND also sourcing parts locally to build that product it makes good financial and political sense to help out. Spending this money to keep people employed is better value for them than paying unemployment benefits to the people left without jobs.

What is wrong is when Mitsi's almost blackmail the government in to giving them cash then shut up shop anyway.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
NEWS ON 2016-2017 'COMMODORE'

Hot off the press......

Next Holden Commodore likely to have more foreign parts | News.com.au

Article suggests a car with much lower local content, made in several other countries.

I am thinking it's the end of the road for large RWD Commodore (even if it's called that). Sounds like it'll be a small SUV or a Malibu sized sort of thing.....

Commodore with lower local content? Highly likely.

FTW Commodore? Don't believe everything you read ;). There is a lot hanging off the NA SS. If it is a knockout success expect a large RWD sedan being built in NA (my tip is Oshawa Canada). If it is solid and Australian sales hold up then (assuming there is production here) it'll be in Australia. Either way it will be RWD. If everything tanks then i'd suggest you have a close look at the Impala. The Commodore nameplate will be retired.

I could just pichure someone in October 1978 saying 'what? no more Kingswoods? What will we drive now?'

But a lot of what gives the Commodore its cult-like following is its motor racing heritage, its marketing, its image as an Aussie muscle car. Whilst the Commodore replacement would probably a perfectly fine car to buy and use on a daily basis, if it is FWD or V6 only I would say much of the enthusiasm would wane, particularly for the next generation of beginner motorists.

There is also the possibility of Abbott Govt. stopping payments to car industry (as I have heard in news reports) at which point the Holden brand would cease to exist . It would be more logical to simply import suitable GM products here as chevs, vauxhalls or opels and forgo the expense with rebadging........

Politically I'd be amazed if it happens. I think news reports have got it wrong. LNP said they want to reduce payments to the auto industry by about $500 million. With Ford departing and a bit of repositioning the currently un-allocated clean car fund (or whatever it is called) that currently hasn't been spent they can easily meet this commitment. I for one am quite happy that Sophie Mirrabella didn't get elected. She could have been a disaster as the likely Industry minister and I think Ian Macfarlane is a far better choice. From memory he also has previous experience in that portfolio from the Howard Government which should let him hit the ground running.

Thus far he is making noises in taking a bi-partisan approach to Australian manufacturing, inviting his predecessor Kim Carr (who I actually have quite a bit of time for) along with Nick Xenaphon to examine ways to bring Australian auto making onto a sustainable footing. I hope it works.

Hope the new government stops propping up a dying industry.

What you fail to see is it's not simply a $billion (or whatever the figure is) saving to the taxpayer if govco stops subsidies. The combined hit to both primary jobs and second and third tier jobs via forgone income tax, government subsidised (or fully paid for) re-training and cost of other social security payments will be many times the amount paid now. That's not to say that things can't be done better. The actual subsidy per car in Australia is one of the lowest in the car producing world. Every nation with a car plant kicks in to some extent and Australia is very low - $230 per car (from memory) - roughly 10% of USA subsidies and significantly lower than Thailand, Japan and India. (I wish I could find the paper on which those figures were quoted. It was very interesting reading).

Quite right , in America GM killed off Pontiac , and Oldsmobile , both names that are older than Holden ,but killed off because they were uneconomic as entities , and I'm sure a few tears were shed over their demise , if the same happens to Holden lets hope what ever replaces it does have local input of some sort. Its the specter of a Korean Commodore is probably what scares some , but they have come a long way in terms of finish and reliability , putting some cars to shame on both fronts .

I don't know the history of olds but Pontiac died due to decades of own goals and stupid decisions. One of the few bright lights was the G8. Holden have been largely profitable since the mid 80's despite Detroit ####ing them over at near every turn. Even the problems they had in the mid 80's were a direct result of Detroit's meddling and is probably the only reason the mother-ship bailed them out. Much of the losses run up by Holden post GFC are a direct result of GM promising the world, Holden investing accordingly only to cancel program after program with Holden left holding the financial baby. Even the current VF was scheduled for 2010 release but the program virtually stopped for 2.5 years after the GFC with GM's bankruptcy.

Last edited:

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
Why should a company be propped up with tax dollars?

Because the only ones that lose from a company closing it's Australian doors are the Australian people and economy. Basic economics.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4