Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

240v spray guns any good

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I need to do a one off job on a family members car to repair a crappy job a panel beater done (entire clear coat peeling off in massive sheets). I have a spray gun (air) and all those goodies in Darwin but here in QLD I have nothing.

My question is, will a 240v spray gun do the job, its the bonnet on a VZ commodore and is that gun metal metallic paint. I will be doing primer, base and clear (it really is that bad). If there are any good 240v guns what one should I get the cheaper the better, and I know you pay for quality but as a one off I dont want to spend large amounts for something I would never use again except maybe underbody painting.

Thanks ahead of time.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I've never used one personally but you would want it to have a nice even fan and keep a consistent pressure if you're going to spray metallic with it. Especially gun metal it won't be fun trying to spray that with a bad gun.

Might be wise to get a W400 and just hire or borrow a compressor on the day (if possible) or even better just hire a booth for the day. Keep the job clean and don't have to worry about getting a compressor.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
By the time you muck about setting all this up and chasing stuff to hire, just take the bonnet off and have another panel shop respray it.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Oh yeah I didn't read that right. I had the impression you where doing the whole car for some reason. Definitely not worth the mucking around for just a bonnet.

Why can't you take it back? Clearcoat delamination should be fixed by the repairer as that's clearly not your fault.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Car was painted in Darwin currently in Brisbane area. Not really possible to take it back there. I tried fighting the car left Darwin but long story short they weren't very happy with me questioning their handiwork and told me to go away (in not to nice words lol).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Years ago, I painted a complete HR with an airless Wagner spray gun. The finish was pretty good, but I wasn't using metallic paint or COB. Paint used was Dulon. The gun gave an even spray and the coverage was good, but it was probably due to the colour which was the original light fawn colour used on HR'S, so it had good opacity. Also, Dulon is pretty fool-proof to use if it's thinned to the right consistency. That would be an important factor if you tried to use one of those guns with metallic. If the paint is too thick, it throws globs of paint rather than an even spray.

If it's a good car, I'd go with the others here and suggest having it professionally resprayed.