Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 blue motor cam

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello folks im looking at putting a cam in my vh 253 blue motor, im not after some oversized lumpy cam that would be useless in a 253, im after torque, can anyone lead me in the right direction with brands and specs and everything i will need to do the job.

Thank you, Tom.

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
Hi Tom, back in the HQ monaro days the Sig Erson TQ20 was the cam of choice, its been a while but im sure they suit both 308 and 253.
My mate had one in his other wise stock 253 with 600 holey and extractors and it just suited it perfectly, rev hard all day long, the best note and still drivable
without stalling etc, yes it did sound lumpy but not over the top, just seemed to be a perfect fit for a 253.
Hope this helps.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Cheers for the responses guys will look into both those options for sure, i want a bit of a lumpy idle but also want good torque with more HP, what other mods would suit? At the moment its just a stock blue motor which has the quadrajet carby i think, not sure what carby they came with im new to these motors, is this carby any good or should i also look at changing that and manifold when i do the cam.

Cheers, Tom.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Really depend on your budget I suppose.
A head reco with pocket port and new valve springs would go nice. Port match the intake, make sure the exhaust is in good nick and tune the carb correctly.
Also make sure the ignition is 100%.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Cheers for the responses guys will look into both those options for sure, i want a bit of a lumpy idle but also want good torque with more HP, what other mods would suit? At the moment its just a stock blue motor which has the quadrajet carby i think, not sure what carby they came with im new to these motors, is this carby any good or should i also look at changing that and manifold when i do the cam.

Cheers, Tom.

the 4bbl manifold and Quaddie GMH fitted to blue 253 is the best carb/manifold combo you can put on

smallish cam extractors and a head clean up and you will have an engine that will sound good and go good

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
the 4bbl manifold and Quaddie GMH fitted to blue 253 is the best carb/manifold combo you can put on

smallish cam extractors and a head clean up and you will have an engine that will sound good and go good

Cheers for the info mate, what brand and size cam would you recommend?

Cheers, Tom,

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The crow 5666 is the biggest you'd want to go in a stock/mild 253. I have the same cam in my 308 and it's great.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Will the quaddie from my 253 blue motor fit onto an edelbrock performer and would it be worth it with a cam upgrade, i just wanna get the best combo so i can have a lot more torque and more grunt up top.

Cheers, Tom

vyconfusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
Being from the old school (yes that means im old) a tq 30 will run with a stock auto and give you plenty of grunt for pulling or the like it really does depend on how far you want to go. The major problem with all 253-308 is oil pressure drop at high revs.Killed a few through that ;( but I found if you get the oil ports on the crank drilled out and a higher volume oil pump you can get a better life out of a 253-308 and so on. I have no idea how or what you know about them but a mate had one he turbo'd and did the bottom work and head work and that thing would hunt down 350 chevs.It was frightening some times as to how quick it went.To get good performance with a quady you should maybe consider a dual plane manifold with a 650 holley. I am no fan of quadrojets as I have had a few do strange things like flood and then starve and air mixtures suddenly go out and so on.So if your on a bugget get hold of a 4 barrel manifold and whack a holley 650 quad and re-jet the secondary slightly bigger power valve and I think you will be surprised. Good luck.