Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VR cranking but won't fire.

Lowe95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator Replica (VR Executive) fully swapped.
Apologies in advance for the small novel to follow.
I am aware that there are similar threads out there to this, but my situation seems slightly different and I am at a loss.

The situation is as follows.
The day I received my car, the owner was waiting for me to arrive and killed the battery listening to music, we charged the battery after jumping it was not working.

We found the starter motor was sparking as it had a loose power cable, so tightened that and still wouldn't start. Thought maybe it was out of fuel so put in about 2 litres and it fired up. The following day, wouldn't start again, put in another 20 litres and it started straight away. Drove it 5 min down the road and back and it wouldn't work again the next time I started it.

Tested a range of different things.
Changed Fuel Filter, (didn't change pump as I could hear it prime and found it to have good pressure at the inlet)
Pulled up the fuel rail and found no injector pulse. Reviewed a number of forums like this and found things to look into.
I replaced the BCM for one with a vats deleted memcal, however, It still requires me to press a button on key to disable security so perhaps there is something to be said there regardless though it did nothing, tried a different ignition module, did nothing, tested EFI relay nothing seemed wrong.
So took it to the mechanic, from memory they found the issue to be an ECU relay.. I think, when replaced would work for one drive and then die again, they then traced it back to the ignition module, which needed resoldering, fixed that car started and drove it home about a 20 min ride, no issues. Got up the next day and once again won't start. Crank but no fire.

What else can I try?
From forums, I can see potential crank angle sensor could be issue however, I am guessing something is causing the ignition module to fail which is killing the ECU relay?
Never really looked into the starter either maybe I look there?
Thanks in advance for your help.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Mostly is either the Ignition module which you've had replaced or Hal sensor in the dizzy.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As above.

90% of the time these things have trouble with starting it's the hall effect sensor in the dizzy or the ignition module.

They fail just by looking at them. To the point most 304 owners keep a spare ignition module in the boot at all times.

Lowe95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator Replica (VR Executive) fully swapped.
Thanks, for your help, is there ways of detecting faults in these units before replacing them?

Cheers