Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 with blower finally tuned only 210rwkw

blown vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vl v8
Have finally had my vl with the sta blower tuned. Really happy with how it goes and the tuner had done a good job. But was disappointed with the final power figures. It made 210rwkw 740nm at 4750 with 8 pounds of boost and not alot of timing due to the inlet manifold temp being 90 degrees. I would have thought I would have been up near the 250kw at least. But over 4850 rpm the engine loses power and almost seems to pop out the exhaust or run out of puff and the valve train sounds harsh. Changing spark and fueling made no difference. It's a 294 duration cam 110 degrees separation. With 59tho lift at tdc. Can was dialed in at this. But have been told that I should have used the 110 deg separation method to dial up the cam. Any one have any ideas what could be going on? Would anti pump lifters help would cam timing cause this. Thanks alot in advance.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If ur still running the standard inlet manifold then there's half ur problem with that cam and forced induction

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Were valve springs changed to suit the cam?
Fuel system? injectors? fuel pump?
210 rwkw is very low.
Its not the manifold they can go up to 400rwhp on boost.
Intake temps will go up due to heat soak on the dyno but on the road
the temps will drop with airflow unless sitting in traffic then they creep up,totally normal
temps for the stock manifold.
Obviously an aftermarket intake will get better results but that's not the problem here.
Also what plugs and spark gap are being used?
Should be a 6 heat range and 40 thou gap.
Cams not ideal something on 112-114 lsa would see better results.
294 is advertised duration whats the specs @50?

blown vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vl v8
Hey yes valve springs were changed 110 pound seat has new injectors 36lb and large fuel pump. didn't think the inlet manifold would cause the problem. Plugs are bpr6efs at 40 tho. I realise cam not ideal but only bolted on blower last minute. Spec at 50 223 duration

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
There is something not right here...But I am definitely no expert on the 304.

110 lb valve springs should be good for 5500-6000 so I don't think it's that.

The torque number is confusing. 500nm Crankshaft torque through a 3.08 diff should translate to around 1500nm derived motive force. 740NM would be seriously fat, and you'd fry tyres like I fry bacon. Unless it's already derived force and then it sucks the big one. Intake temps shouldn't really be that high in my mind. I use a raptor - similar concept - and get 70 at idle, dropping to 50 when the water meth kicks in. Mind you , mine is a water cooled super so it may account for it.

What's your exhaust like ? Factory Cats ? collapsed muffler perchance ?

You probably should double check and see what ratio your rockers are, and whether the cam grind matches that as well. The pushrod length could also be off.

Good luck :)

blown vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vl v8
Hey thanks for the ideas has a 3.45 diff at the moment. I guess my temps are on the dyno so should be a bit lower on the road. Has good 3inch system with straight through mufflers and coby headers. Yeah gonna recheck cam timing. Do you think the lift might be causing problems with the lifters. Maybe anti pumps are the go. What water meth system are you using.

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
I'm running 304 power flow mafless tune united e85 dedocated. In for tune next couple weeks. I'll put the figures up as a gauge mate, hope ya get it sorted.
Intercool it! Universal ones about for $300

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
where did you get it tuned not torque performance LOL

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
what's wrong with robyns tuning ability's :rofl2:

blown vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vl v8
I don't think there is anything wrong with it kiwicon. Car drives very nicely. And feels nice and strong. Couple of things to nut out on my part with engine part combinations. Seems to be alot of people who like stir the pot. So to speak. From what I found there isn't to many options for tuning the older 304s around Auckland area.