Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3900 watts rms

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you plan on running a full 3900wrms all the time, that would be quite discomforting to be in the car, would also be really damn annoying to everyone around you.

If your talking comps though, another member here ran 5000wrms with the stock VS alternator and with a D31 battery, or was it two?

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
for a true 3900w (power) then your alternator will kinda need to produce more than 300 amps.
(3900/13=300) 13 just to give u a bit of headroom

I have no idea about duel battery setups but you can sure get BULKY batteries which would suit the job.

Your doing this in a VN??!? Imagine the boot rattle!

What experience do you have in CA?

That is possibly the funniest information i have seen for a while.

Audio is not constant, You will not need a 300amp ( L.O.L! ) Alternator unless you want major over kill.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
SuperSixty6 is right. How often will the sound system be drawing a full 3900wrms, a fifth of the time? Is this even for street use or for comp use?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
A fifth of the time? No.

Music is dynamic, it might draw that for milliseconds if all the amps were all playing the same frequency. Generally, the only time you will be drawing full power for an extended time (a few seconds) would be in an SPL comp where the amplifiers are playing a tone at full volume.

What is the system going to be used for? Just loud music?
When will the system mostly be played? While driving? While parked but with car running? While parked with car off?

The answers to those questions will help determine what you may need to upgrade in your electrical system.

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
its a street cruzer but i wouldnt mind entering it in comps every now nd then but mostly its just while driving on the street
yes its just so i can feel the music rattle my body lol

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
it will just be used as a street crusier nd comps every now nd den
nd mostly used will im driving

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
A fifth of the time? No.

Music is dynamic, it might draw that for milliseconds if all the amps were all playing the same frequency. Generally, the only time you will be drawing full power for an extended time (a few seconds) would be in an SPL comp where the amplifiers are playing a tone at full volume.

What is the system going to be used for? Just loud music?
When will the system mostly be played? While driving? While parked but with car running? While parked with car off?

The answers to those questions will help determine what you may need to upgrade in your electrical system.

Listen to this Man!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Honestly, I would keep the stock alternator until it dies...

I put a system in my VT in 2001 which consisted of a 2400Wrms sub amp and 200Wrms x 2 speaker amp which is 2800Wrms total. Not as much as you but still much more than the car is made to sustain. Anyway, I stuck with the stock 100A alternator, upgraded the power and earth wiring in the engine bay to 0ga, bought a decent deep cycle battery (Optima Yellow Top) and had no problems until 2008. My alternator lasted 7 years before getting weak.

I think you should just ensure the wiring from you alternator to battery positive, battery ground to chassis and battery ground to engine block are all upgraded to 0ga. Your power wiring to the amps is 0ga. You have a decent battery to support the electrical system when the stereo draws more current than the alternator can provide.

If you're worried about voltage drop from the front of the car to the back, then you could put a second battery in the boot near the amplifiers but I'd see if you have any issues with the system before doing that.

Last edited:

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
ok thanks for that that makes alot more sense to me but 1 problem left i already put the power wire for the amp in and its 3 runs of 4 gauge should i scrap this for 1 run of 0 gauge wit a distabustion block for the amps or keep wat i got

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Three runs of 4ga can carry more current than one 0ga, so you're better off how it is.

But you might want to look at the site below and see if you think 4ga is enough for 1,300Wrms... I would only use 4ga for up to 1000Wrms or so.

WIRE