Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5W30 V 10W30 engine oil

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have been using 10W30 G4 shell Helix, is it okay to change to 5W30 and is it better for the engine? Also, it cost about $45 for a 5 litre can, on the other hand the Valvoline "Engine armor" with the same specification as the shell Helix, cost about $40 for a 6 litre can, does it make any difference which brand I use, as long as the specification are the same? Thanks.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
I think the recommended oil for commo's like the vz sv6 is 10w40 magnatec. that's what ive always used and had no problems. Alot of people use it and ive never heard someone give it a bad rap. It is ok to change to 5w30 - but i wouldnt recommend it. if ur car has alot of kays then if anything, go up to 15w and then maybe 40/50 for the second number cos its better for it to be thicker when its older. being thicker it will also make an old engine quieter/smoother. brand doesnt matter. an oil change is better than no oil change. but id try to stick to one kinda oil and not always change around.
p.s. i have heard bad things about valvoline engine armour.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Follow what your books tell you PLEASE.

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
Follow what your books tell you PLEASE.
I agree, I have used valvoline engine armor 10w30 for just over 50000 km now an not had any problems with it. whatever oil you use make sure it complies to or exceeds the OEM standard.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I use magnatec prof 10w30 in my VZ LS1 as does the Holden dealer I work for on both VZ 6 and 8.

Have had no dramas whatsover and change every 5k.

Up to 200k on the odo now and engine still sounds like new.

animalsm77s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
GM specify Castrol, they have a deal with them just like Bridgestone tyres are on all new commies, I use Penrite, go to their Web site they have a oil selection app for every car its very helpful and is reasonably priced.

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks guys. The manual book says SAE 5W or 10W/30 SL GF-3 oil. My car is VZ SV6 with 74000 Ks, I change the oil and filter every 5000Ks or 12 months which ever comes first, I have 2 cars so I don't do a lot of Ks on the VZ.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I use magnatec prof 10w30 in my VZ LS1 as does the Holden dealer I work for on both VZ 6 and 8.

Have had no dramas whatsover and change every 5k.

Up to 200k on the odo now and engine still sounds like new.

Have to agree with you there RiCeY when it comes to that Magnatec Professional 10w30.Had that run in my 6.0l and I can honestly say it has been a good quite oil,even on cold starts,shame you cant buy the same at retail outlets.I,m currently running Nulon 10w40 full synthetic.Thought I give it a go as it was on special and it comes in a six litre tub,but why does the 3.6l alloytech (seem very savage) when it comes to oil quality, or does it handle different grade oils, and its the owner killing it by letting it go too long between changes regardless of km driven.Its only there seems to be a bit wrote about them now that they are beginning to get a few kays under there belt.
Just on the subject of the Castrol Magnatec Professional 10w30 does your Dealership sell the oil to the public if a suitable 6litre container is provided by the purchaser,
Cheers CONROD

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yeah the Alloytecs are a bit funny, most are OK on it but some burn through it pretty quickly.

AFAIK they dont sell the oil but it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So back to the original question. Is it okay to use the 5W/30 especially in winter, it gets really cold here, or should i just stick to the 10W/30 and not worry too much about it. Well I suppose if the manual book recommend either then it's okay, but maybe only when the car is new?