Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$800 Budget, Help With System!

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
I have a beautiful 2006 SV6, my one and only problem is the sound quality.

I want to purchase everything from one store, as I want to get the installation as cheap as possible. I had a setup of different components but my brother said they're all terrible. Here is what I had in mind, any better suggestions would be great!

Amp:
KENWOOD CLASS D MONO AMP, 600W KACM615D - WOW Sight & Sound

Sub:
SONY SUB IN ENCLOSURE BOX120L - WOW Sight & Sound

Speakers:
"SONY 6"" 4 WAY 300 WATTS SPEAKERS " XSGTX1641 - WOW Sight & Sound

Head-Deck:
KENWOOD MP3/TUNER 50wX4 USB IPOD DIRECT AUX IN REMOTE 2xRCA KDCU449 - WOW Sight & Sound

Comes to around $600 not including installation.

I've only ever had stock sound in any car so would this be worth the money?

I don't mind spending more belongs the extra is reasonable and justified.

Thanks in advance, Ryan.

SE85VT

LOVE MY VT LOVE AUSTRALIA
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 V6 VT BERLINA
I recently bought a set of clarion 6' fronts 160 a set of clarion 6x9s also 160 2 subs at 85 each discount price (i think they are only 100 normal) and a clarion head unit for 120 from autopro and 1 powervox amp off ebay peope say they are **** but i have heard my brothers car that has a brand name sub cant think of it atm (havent seen it in ages as he is in golburn)but it is just as good and he is running all the same stuff i am exept for the amp and 6x9s and a instal kit from audio endulgence (local audio store) then i installed it all my self

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
The items you've listed, I wouldn't get any of them, as they're all pretty average, which makes me curious what you already had, or had planned? that your brother said were all terrible?

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
The items you've listed, I wouldn't get any of them, as they're all pretty average, which makes me curious what you already had, or had planned? that your brother said were all terrible?

No, this is what I told my brother I'd be getting, and he said it was terrible.

can ANYONE list specific models of each component. I don't care about the whole 'it's your preference' because I have no experience to have preference.

So ANY recommendations would be better than just saying 'I wouldn't get any of it'.

Sorry if I sound confrontational, I'm just getting frustrated because it's hard to know what to get.

Thanks, Ryan.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Headunit only has 1 set of RCAs, I'd be looking for one with two pairs to make things easier ;)

and don't expect to get everything from the one place...

the Jaycar amps are good value for money.

and don't forget you need wiring ;)

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
Headunit only has 1 set of RCAs, I'd be looking for one with two pairs to make things easier ;)

and don't expect to get everything from the one place...

the Jaycar amps are good value for money.

and don't forget you need wiring ;)

Installation is not a problem. I get it for free as my brother is a mechanic and knows what he's doing. He said a case would do just fine ;)

Literally the components i'm thinking of. He said he knows nothing about what to get, just knows how to fit it. So this is why i'm here. I know it's a big ask, but would anyone be able to throw out a quick sub,amp,speakers and headunit combo within 1000 that would be of okay quality?

Thanks, Ryan

saber

Reaction score
Members Ride
None - At the moment :)
Head over to MEA (mobile electronics Australia) and do a search for $1000.

You’ll find a few threads that give recommendations as to what equipment to buy.

I’d also consider buying some gear second hand to keep costs down.

I’ve got no problems buying a second hand amp and head unit via ebay/gumtree, provided they’re in good working condition.

I’d buy the front speakers/sub new (personally I’d prefer to demo first, and let my ears decide what sounds best before buying).

For fronts, I like Crescendo/Morel/Focal, but these are not mainstream brands, so they’re not exactly available everywhere, unlike say Sony, Alpine, Kenwood ect ect.

ewebz91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportswagon
id reccomend Vibe Black Air 6" Components and Vibe Slick 6" Coaxial. I got the black airs off Amazon for $100. Get the slicks at autobarn for $85 (If you bargain with them a bit).

For the rest of the the system id have a look around auto barn. You can always ask them what they think, have a look around for what you want. If you ask for their advice they will generally give you a discount if you go with what they tell you.

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
id reccomend Vibe Black Air 6" Components and Vibe Slick 6" Coaxial. I got the black airs off Amazon for $100. Get the slicks at autobarn for $85 (If you bargain with them a bit).

For the rest of the the system id have a look around auto barn. You can always ask them what they think, have a look around for what you want. If you ask for their advice they will generally give you a discount if you go with what they tell you.

I have to disagree about the Vibe Black Air 6.5" components. Have them in my Calais and after a few months they sound crap! They had terrible mid bass to start with aswell, almost non-existant. They now distort even with gain almost off at mid volume, my friend has the same speakers and has the same issue. And I didn't abuse them/had them professionally tuned. (now replacing them with Focal 165KR Components)

I would reccomend the Vibe BlackBox 4ch amp though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk