Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$800 Budget, Help With System!

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
don't get the monoblock amp.
don't get two amps.

As I mentioned before, just get a 4 channel amp, run two channels to the front speakers, and bridge the other two to the sub.

Yep. Just use the headunit to power the rear shelf. The amp listed earlier by AmmoJammo
Jaycar 4 channel amp would do the job well.

Add to that any headunit that suits your tastes, the sony splits, any 10-12" sub-in-a-box, and maybe a pair of basic Sony 2 ways in the rear shelf and you got yourself a decent system for under $800.

Keep in mind that what you are building here is a decent sound system. You wont win any competitions with it, you wont rattle more windows driving down the street than your mates. But your stereo will sound great at normal volumes, and wont hurt your ears with distortion when you get in the mood to pump it up a little. It will be a million miles ahead of the stock sound of course :)

Surprised none of the audiophiles havent jumped in yet to tell you all sound systems under 3k are crap lol.. but for most people what you are doing is more than you need. Good luck :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Even just adding a sub can make a difference.

I picked up this little crap thing at a garage sale for $25. Claimed 160W amp, I bet it aint.. and a little 6" sub.

attachment.php

This lives in the boot of my Kia and runs with a Sony head unit and factory speakers. Its not fantastic at the real low notes I hear coming from kids cars, but it plays Rihanna for my girls pretty well, and pumps ACDC real well for me.

Sometimes I'd like more volume though, a good reason to add a front amp in my case, since the rear amp is already there. In yours, get the 4 channel and kill two birds with one stone. You'll probably want a bigger sub too lol.. but this one does me well in this little car.

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
don't get the monoblock amp.
don't get two amps.

As I mentioned before, just get a 4 channel amp, run two channels to the front speakers, and bridge the other two to the sub.

Okay this sounds ideal! Is it a difficult task bridging the other channels to the sub? I just need to find a decent 4 Channel amp now that doesn't break the budget and I'm sweet. :)

Again, I would not know the difference between a 800 and 3000 system. I just want a good bit of bass and clear sound when I'm cruising along :) So thanks DAKSTER for clearing that up, I don't want anything top of the line, just a decent sounding system that will last me a while.

KENWOOD SUB With Enclosure
Amp : Not found
Speakers: SONY Splits mentioned above
HU: https://www.soundmaster.com.au/Kenw...etooth-Receiver-with-iPod-Control/KDCU7049BT/ Thinking that one. Tried it out in-store and has a great interface.

So just an amp is left to find :)

This is actually really cheap, I was expecting to pay a lot more. So I'm happy with this!

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
I did a bit of googling, and it says I can't use a 4 Channel amp with a sub. IF I do it's a very complicated process and may damage my components?

Would I be able to get a mono-amp for the sub and then connect my sony splits into the HU? If it sounds terrible i'll invest in another amp to go under my seat so it's out of the way. I'd rather try it with the easy option first?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
It won't damage any components, it's not difficult to to do, you can use a 4 channel amp with a sub and with your budget this is the best thing to do.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I'm guessing the website was talking about using a 4 channel amp JUST to run a sub off all four channels.

for what you want to do, there's no issue, just make sure its a 4ohm sub, or dual 2ohm. Most entry level subs would be anyway.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
+1 for the jaycar 4ch class AB amp, i have one in my ute since i only wanted 1 amp also

it puts out 100WRMS to each speaker and 350WRMS when bridged to the sub, which is plenty for a sensible stereo like your after

bridging the amplifier to run the sub sounds hard but is piss easy

just run your sub rcas to the channel 3 and 4 rcas on the amp, then connect the sub wires to the positive on output 3 and negative on output 4, or vice versa

if you want me to i can take a picture of my 4CH amp connected to run front speakers and sub in my ute over the weekend as im installing my new knukonceptz wiring kit into it

p.s also cos i havent seen it mention, budget around $80 for a 4CH 4 gauge wiring kit

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I did a bit of googling, and it says I can't use a 4 Channel amp with a sub. IF I do it's a very complicated process and may damage my components?

wow that is not tue, id do what AmmoJammo has been saying with a budget like that, so +1 to him :)

some things you find on the internet arnt true, you could find so many different answers looking stuff like that up, which source did you hear that from? doesnt seem very reliable

Last edited:

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
I have to disagree about the Vibe Black Air 6.5" components. Have them in my Calais and after a few months they sound crap! They had terrible mid bass to start with aswell, almost non-existant. They now distort even with gain almost off at mid volume, my friend has the same speakers and has the same issue. And I didn't abuse them/had them professionally tuned. (now replacing them with Focal 165KR Components)

I would reccomend the Vibe BlackBox 4ch amp though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take that back about the amp.

Replaced it with a Focal FPP 4100 amp and Focal 165KR components and the difference is amazing!
I ran the vibe amp with the Focal speakers and they sounded soo bad.. changed the amp and it made all the difference.
My advice would be not to go Vibe at all. :s