Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$800 Budget, Help With System!

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Today i went to wow. 30mins waiting to be served with no luck. Went to JB hifi. Picked myself up a Audioline AZX2002 amp. 45wrmsx2.. Powers my sub nicely and for $89 im not going to complain. Its a HUGE difference to my old Alpine V12 MRV-F345.. But to much bass (not running amps for speakers) tends to over power the music hence why i went for the cheapest amp i could find.

And if installing it in a VR/VS, fix your boot leaks. Its what killed my old amp.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Today i went to wow. 30mins waiting to be served with no luck. Went to JB hifi. Picked myself up a Audioline AZX2002 amp. 45wrmsx2.. Powers my sub nicely and for $89 im not going to complain. Its a HUGE difference to my old Alpine V12 MRV-F345.. But to much bass (not running amps for speakers) tends to over power the music hence why i went for the cheapest amp i could find.

And if installing it in a VR/VS, fix your boot leaks. Its what killed my old amp.

So you've gone from an MRV-F345 to an audioline?

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Thats correct. The alpine got wet, is now temperamental. $89 to replace amp that puts out plenty of bass. I can call it a win in my books.

must be a different book... lol

should have spent the extra few bucks and gotten a 2 x 80 watt from jaycar :p

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
must be a different book... lol

should have spent the extra few bucks and gotten a 2 x 80 watt from jaycar :p

I was looking to do it as cheap as possible. Im over the whole epic boot rattle can hear me 3 suburbs over bass. This el cheapo amp puts out enough bass for me and i wouldnt car as much if it got destroyed. It still packs enough punch to shack all the mirrors. I dont listen to that **** you hear on the radio these days or hip hop stuff so there is no need for big bass.

Looking at it now: Amp: $89, Wiring kit: $49, Sub: $99, Sub box: $30. A pretty good bass set up for $267 brand new. Then a head unit thaqt has 3 RCA outs and a AUX plug in the rear (came with a VK i bought). The sony splits i mentioned earlier: $79 and for the rear i just got the cheapest sony 6"s to jam in place of the factory ones: $50.

So the sound system for the VS has cost me: $396. No to blow my own horn but its a fair decent sound system, nice and loud.

Fair enough itll never be as loud as some, but if this sound system can make me deaf and drown out my exhaust noise (ask Wraith for an example of how loud it is), i would class it as a win for under $400

Also i dont like a sound system that out powers the performance of the car, hence why i dont need to go louder hahah.

ryanrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2006
if you want me to i can take a picture of my 4CH amp connected to run front speakers and sub in my ute over the weekend as im installing my new knukonceptz wiring kit into it

That would be good thanks! :)

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
here are some pics of my 4CH amp, sorry about crap quality lol i took them just a minute ago, forgot to do it during the install

DSCF0912.jpg

the top two with blue cable are CH1 and CH2 which power the speakers, and the bottom clear cable is for the sub, which uses the + from CH3 and the - from CH4

(note to ammo jammo and sweefu, my 4G cable still isnt sitting in these terminals properly as you can see, and i dont know how to fix it)

DSCF0908.jpg

this is the rca input of my amp, since i only have one LOC i split the rcas here and then plugged them into each channel, black cable is just my bass boost controller

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Can you trim the exposed end of the cable a little bit shorter? Then push it in hard, tighten grub screw?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Yeah that's what I done before, that's from the cable slipping out, I only trimmed about 8mm of sheath off, and the grub screws were down as tight as possible

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Most headunits are about 4x50W, supposedly RMS. Look at the size of a headunit, and imagine how much room is in it for an amp. Compare that to an external amp of 4x50WRMS. Massive difference in size is for a good reason.. more components, better cooling and better sound...
Just for your information, they're rated at 4 x 50W MAX. If you look in the manual at the specifications, they're usually rated at somewhere between 17W RMS and 25W RMS per channel. Which as you went on to explain is not really sufficient for decent speakers.