Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 Tips On Installing Car Stereos

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
you said that you use to own the business, what happened to it???

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
don't worry maniac_vp i think most people including myself forget that rule because we excited because it's finished so we put it all back togeather and then something doesn't work. I know cause it happened to me.

cheers

scott

V

VTLUVA

kim,
i just bought a VT and want to instore my other sound system ... what colour wire means what on the standard(factory) radio/cassette player in most VT, i have sony/explode head unit, 5channel amp and 12in sub .... any help would be great...

Ziggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Just what i am after, excellent Kim.

Q My VP has only the front speakers, i have had the standard radio out and there appears to be enough wires to accommodate speakers at the rear, does the speaker wiring loom venture to the rear under the parcel shelf or do i need to run new wires? also when fitting speakers to the rear if i get your suggestion correct, do you suggest not cutting at all into the rear parcel shelf and rear tray?

S

shell_inglis

Help

i have no idea how to put my speakers in i have a 1991 vp executive and i cant get the bak thingy off to put my speakers (6'9 splits) in i also have a sub woofer and 2 amps i want to move the amps and re capert my boot but the guy who had the car before me did all the wireing really bad! so considering i have never done this before i totally dont have a clue what to do.. i need a new bak dash i think but where in the hell do i get one from? any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanku so much
shell

S

sjersoy

that's fully sick

i just broughta new kenwood kdc-8026 kenwood 6in speakers spit speakers fusion 12in subwoofer fusion 4 channel .And my kit is rocking i call it fully sic. I ONLY DRIVE COMMODORE .IF ANY BODY WANT STEREO PUT IN THERECAR CALL CAR AUDIO EXCELLENCE THERE AT BLACKTOWN 153 MAIN STREE BLACKTOWN NSW 2148 PH(02) 88149244 FAX (02) 88149245 ST MARY'3/130 FORRESTER ROAD ST MARY'S NSW 2760 PH(02) 98334477 FAX (02) 98333561 AND LAST PENRITH 242 HIGH STREET PENRITH2750 PH (02) 47314477 FAX (02) 47316688 THAT WERE I GOT FROM @ BLACKTOWN THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE AND MY ALARM & ENGINE IMMOBILISER DONE THERE MY NEXT IS DVD PLAYER YOU R RIGHT WITH THE WIRES THEY HAVE TO BE THICK

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Very good tips kim, i do commodore stereo's myself & i just have 2 small things to add .. use 90 degree rca leads (bent at 1 end) at the rear of the deck (if using rca's) coz u wont be able to sit the stereo right back in the dash in the case of most stereo's in most commodores inless rca's are bent. Be careful of not connecting circuit earth's up, some stuff has more than 10 ohm resistance between circuit earth and chassi earth (mainly noticed this in the case of mobile fone + cb radio gear) so i would be incline to double up on earths as apposed to cliping the circuit earth out of the wiring. Theres my 2 bob .. Matt

A

AngCalais

Given that you have had a business before I was wondering whether you had any contacts or suggestions on the cost of installing a CD player and 4 speakers in a 1989 vn calais?

Regards

Ange

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
That was well written Kim, may I add a 10th tip? Well, I'm going to!

10, Ensure you have the correct size power cable to any amplifiers, running small power cable can cause hassles with headlights and dash dimming. Not only that but also, the amplfier will try to draw more power as it is being "choked" of the current that is required to produce the power required.