Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 Tips On Installing Car Stereos

r0nniem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Steerling Wheel Controls

Ohh and if you want those steering wheel controls to work, Stinger sells a product called The CAT. Works for Alpine, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony for HOLDEN VT/VX, HOLDEN VS, HOLDEN VY, HOLDEN BARINA, HOLDEN ASTRA & HOLDEN VECTRA. Just change the Jumpers for Audio Brand and car model and wire up.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I would like to question one point. Not in a "I know better than everyone else" way, but the "I have heard differently" way.

Is it not better not to solder the joints, as when the solder wicks up the strands it forms a hard interface between solder and stranded wire? During vibration this will then cause some wires to shear. Whereas crimping allows the stress to be gradually dispersed across the wire so there is no hard change?

I suspect that soldering is considered better as you get an air free joint from lug to all wire strands. So in that case if you solder I would suspect that a bit of heatshrink over the joint will give mechanical support to the connection.

Mike

As I said this is for discussion, not a correction. I am NOT in the audio installation game.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Michael, it depends entirely on the situation you are faced with. I'm a soldered through and through.

Crimp Terminals have a tendency to crush the wires, an improperly crimped terminal can cause a high resistance joint ensuring your equipment will draw more power then necessary.

Soldered joints do not shear off under vibration. I'm yet to see this happen. Heat Shrink is a MUST for any soldered joint other wise it most likely short out against other wiring or the chassis of the car.

Good point that you brang up. Soldering is definetly the best option. The only time I use crimps these days is when I'm doing a fleet install and time is NOT on my side and they are only getting a phone kit install where the current draw is less then amp. Then I will use a clear cap which I feel is still much better then a spade or bullet terminal. With a clear cap you need to to twist the two wires together and then put a single cap over the top and crimp. Joint made.

i_want_kw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL to VS
glenno'z opinion

1. why do decks come with thin cheap wire to connect to?
i got a pioneer 5550mp deck which i'd rank fairly high but from the factory their wires are piss weak.
2. my joins are solered!
3. agreed, check twice, cut once... not check once cut twice.
4. Testing! V important... agreed. amp no1 !
5. if u cant find a screw into the chasis, make ur own! agreed
6. also agreed!
7. Make sure your speakers and amps are balanced.true... but i dont understand the calculations between rms n max power, is there a way to measure? or is it all just mis-leading the public?
8. RCA from Head unit to AMP is ALWAYS to be preferred.
9. true.... if u have a sub or 2, dnt bother with 6x9's ppl.... why waste money.
FRICKEN!

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I_want_kw, about 6x9's i hear u shouldnt run them with subs either, i hear they try to compete and the 6x9 loose and distort?
Also i like the idea of speaker pods autobarn etc sell...
I dont like cuttin corners either.

Question, Does polarity reli matter with speakers?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
adox. polarity does matter and then again it doesn't matter....

If you hook up positive to negative on your first speaker, thats ok! BUT, you must then make sure you all the other speakers have their polarity reversed as well.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Ohk then, does it actually make any difference to the speaker when the polarity is reversed?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
No it doesn't harm the speaker or the amplifier driving it at all. It does inver the music signal. But, you won't hear a difference if it was played on the same system with the polarity wired correctly.

J2112

R8-HSV-06
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV R8 M6
6x9 plus SUB

I disagree...

I've got a 15inch sub plus 7x10's in the back.

The bass sounds better with the 7x10's supporting the subs.

You get more depth in bass.

7x10's give more punch in your bass.

i_want_kw said:
1. why do decks come with thin cheap wire to connect to?
i got a pioneer 5550mp deck which i'd rank fairly high but from the factory their wires are piss weak.
2. my joins are solered!
3. agreed, check twice, cut once... not check once cut twice.
4. Testing! V important... agreed. amp no1 !
5. if u cant find a screw into the chasis, make ur own! agreed
6. also agreed!
7. Make sure your speakers and amps are balanced.true... but i dont understand the calculations between rms n max power, is there a way to measure? or is it all just mis-leading the public?
8. RCA from Head unit to AMP is ALWAYS to be preferred.
9. true.... if u have a sub or 2, dnt bother with 6x9's ppl.... why waste money.
FRICKEN!