Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A little annoyed with Repco

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Scooter79, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    Anyone seen the Repco website recently. Their homepage clearly states "We won't be beaten on price....." blah blah blah... Well I've since sent Repco an email and though I'd post part of it....

"Today I went to my local Repco store at Shellharbour to purchase oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs. I enquired about the notice on the website clearly stating "We won't be beaten on price". The initial response from the two young staff members was one of confusion and they could not produce any written terms and conditions. Then one of them told me that offer only applies to items that competitors have advertised in a current catalogue. I was clearly told that the offer does NOT apply to items where the competitor has the same item with a cheaper regular shelf price. Upon visiting the local Supercheap Auto and Autobarn, I realise I could have purchased all of the items I listed above much cheaper at the competitors stores....."

I'm not saying supercheap and autobarn don't do it but just annoys me when you get these claims. Reminds me of the claim where bunnings say "Find a cheaper price we'll beat it by 10%" I know someone who went to buy an orbital sander because they were on special. They were sold out so he went across the next suburb and the bunnings there wouldn't even match their own price until he argued about their advertised claim. We'll see if I get a response from Repco head office this week. Rant over. :ranting:

2. HoldenMan7

HoldenMan7 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
    Yeah i also hate that mate, lets us no what there response is, will be interesting to see what they say....

3. RUN41T

RUN41T Go forth and modify

Members Ride:
    79 Vb Sle
    Yeah shellharbour Repco is the worst, Unhelpfull staff and they are out of stock 50% of the time. I head stright over to autobarn albion park

4. Boonz

Boonz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    green 355 VG ute
    well you do know what repco stands for dont you.....Rip Every Poor C*nt Off...

sums it up pretty well....

5. Lumps of cheese

Lumps of cheese welcome to the machine

Members Ride:
    Cammed calais, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 08 FXDC
    The local repco here beats supercheap and autobarn for service and price hands down.The boss of the place has been here for years and knows his stuff too which probably makes a big difference.

6. VLDavo

VLDavo New Member

Members Ride:
    lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
    yea u gota read between the lines

will beat any ADVERTISED price lol as most places will say...

7. Cobez

Cobez LS-EXUAL

Members Ride:
    2004 S2 VY SS Ute
    Bugger supercheap, i only go there for electrical tape, oil and basic stuff like that.

Autobarn FTW!

8. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    isn't the price sticker on the shelf "advertising"?

with the bunnings discount, if you read the fine print, they don't beat the competitors price by 10%, they match the competitors price and refund 10% of the difference. a lot of advertising these days could be classed as false advertising, but due to ethics and morals seemingly disappearing over the last few years, this practice seems to be acceptable now

9. DANNY8

DANNY8 Yo Coooornflake!

Members Ride:
    VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. JBDrifter

JBDrifter Now in a Calais

Members Ride:
    VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
    Last year I bought myself a pair of Channellock pliers from Middy's in Sunshine for $55. Took the pliers and receipt up the road to Bunnings where they were selling the same pliers for $72... they were very reluctant to knock $22 off their price but eventually came around and sold me a pair for $49.50 :D
    I then sold the other pair off for $60, so all in all the one pair only cost me ~$45, very good price for a pair of channellock's!

11. Matt0

Matt0 New Member

Or Rip Every Poor Critter off. That's the G rated version haha :)

12. cracker

cracker New Member

repco are a bunch of dead set morons
    its always instock untill u get there, then it doesnt exist or nah we cant find it on the shelf ill ring xyz store theyll have it

13. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    Thats kind of what really bugs me. They're willing to beat a competitors DISCOUNTED catalogue price, but refuse to budge on a competitors shelf price that is always lower. It's crap. Can't really say much for their customer service today either. Could they have looked like they wanted to be working any less?!?! Also needed a one off socket and I got a *sigh* when the staff member had to go and get the key for the cabinet.

I'm not saying every Repco store is like this. When I lived near Kellyville I always got good service there. Even if the prices were still over the top. My father in law used to work for a spare parts supplier until about August last year. I used to get spark plugs @ $1.50 each, Ryco oil filters for $4, air filters for $6, auto trans service kits for $3.50 and Nulon Synthetic oil for $30. Those were the good days.

14. XTC16

XTC16 Certified Wise

Members Ride:
    Foot Falcon
    The problem with any store like this, is the fact that they are all franchises, and at the end of the day, it's down to DIY Dave who owns the shop that "really" has the final say ...

15. jet_pilot

jet_pilot New Member

Members Ride:
    vp executive
    i got a new sub from supercheap (kenwood) and 2 door's down at autobarn they had the same one at nearly double the price (i looked there first) walked back into autobarn with the sub to buy a box and they asked to see my docket thinking i walked out with it earlier and they started swearing when they saw the price from supercheap but they had ported boxes desighned for this particular sub lol they werent happy

16. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    That reminds me when I was after a set of the 4 way Pioneer speakers. Autobarn had them for $190 and Strathfield had them in a catalogue for $119. I asked if Autobarn could at least match it and they hummed and harred and said they'd be losing money if they did. Lowest they would go was $160. I started waling out and they said "$150". I replied "but I can get them around the corner for $119". He said $130. I kept walking then he says "Ok $119". They guy was not happy but thats his problem. When did shopping turn into an auction?

17. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    so why go to the effort of whinging at the autobarn person about getting something cheaper. for most catalogs, where prices for things are ridiculously low, they usually buy it in at a cheaper price so they can sell it at that price and make something out of it, then yuo goto another store who doesnt have them on sale and has to lose money just to keep your whiney ass happy. did you buy anything else at the same time? if not, why didnt you just buy it from strathfield?

its people that are so cut up about losing some money, that theyve gotta get it for as cheap as possible, that make shopping into an auction.

18. immortality

immortality Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    that and bad info sums it up real good. i wouldn't go there unless it was the last option. rather go to supercheap, get things like fitlers etc when their on special and stock em up on the shelf at home

19. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    Well I did buy oil, filters and plugs. I also asked the Autobarn guy if he could match competitiors prices and he said "Yeah not a problem, what are you after". Then he does a complete 180 and tells me he can't? WTF? Don't B.S to me.

Anyway, an update on the Repco thing. I got a phone call from Repco head office. They confirmed that it DOES apply to competitiors shelf prices but it must be proven. Then he proceeded to tell me that Supercheap don't stock Z154 filters and Autobarn don't carry Bosch spark plugs. He also told me that for my troubles next time I go to Repco he'll offer me a trade discount. I wonder how I prove he said I could have a trade discount? Do I get it in writing? As I said to the guy, I at least appreciate that they contacted me.

20. stocky

stocky New Member

Members Ride:
    1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

gotta agree with hakhawk. i cant see why you would want them to lose $70 just so that you didn't have to walk around the corner. did you prove to him that was the price or did he think you were making it up? a price match that large would probably mean that $119 was lower than the cost price, so selling it to you at a loss could get him in trouble. who knows.
    edit - just re read it. so it was obvious that they would be selling it below their cost prices, yet you still tried to get them to go lower. i dont see the point of the argument