Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS, Engine, Traction Control and Airbag Lights

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by nolim8ts, Sep 28, 2009.

1. nolim8ts

nolim8ts New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS S1
    After driving my car for 10 minutes today, the warning lights for abs, engine, traction control and airbag lights lit up. After letting it rest for half the day, started it back up and after 10 minutes of driving, the same warning lights re-appeared. I know I have a power steering leak but I don't think this would be causing any issues.

I plan on bringing the car to Holden but thought I would get input from JC members.

2. HARVZ-6

HARVZ-6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT spac super6
    search is your friend.

abs modual

3. nolim8ts

nolim8ts New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS S1
    Took the car to the mechanic's today to see which error codes and been logged. After the multiple error codes had been cleared, the car was taken for drive and behold, the lights came on again. Once again the error codes were cleared and I asked the mechanic to check all the earth leads / alternator charging while under load as suggested in another thread.

Apparently the alternator was charging at 13.5 volts while under load and the alternator's earth was found to be loose. Alternator earth was re-secured and after driving the car around today, no lights have come up on the dash [holds breath] :yeah:

4. Raging Bull

Raging Bull New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S Pack L67
    Best way to find out. Next time the lights come on, unplug your ABS module and check the lights again most of them will be gone like Airbag, Oil etc but trac off, trac low, abs off, will remain. If that's the case your ABS module needs changing. Get yourself a pair on swap over basis on ebay and you're good to go.

5. Sash182

Sash182 Guest

I had the same prob when i had mt vt s, the earth cable was loose when i changed over a dead alternator and driving down the road the dash lit up like a christmas tree. It never happend again after I tightened the loose nut.

6. Statesmad

Statesmad New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Caprice LS1
    nolim8ts, I was having the same problem, now fixed, (after new alternator was installed).
    It may not be the problem, it could be the ABS module, but it surely doesn't hurt to check and ensuring good earth, before replacing the module?

Anyway, good luck and hope it fixes the problem.

7. nolim8ts

nolim8ts New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS S1
    After driving the car for 20 minutes, the ABS and Traction controls lights came on again but only for a split second causing the car to jolt. I have since purchased a working ABS module of eBay for $100. ABS will be getting installed within the next 2 weeks. Would any mechanics have any objections to installing a second hand ABS module?

8. nolim8ts

nolim8ts New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS S1
    ABS Replacement

I've decided to spend the $800 and replace the faulty ABS module with a brand new one. I just hope this is the problem and that the lights don't come on again 2 months down the track...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. mdmatt

mdmatt mdmatt

Members Ride:
    2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
    haha i had exactly the same problem with my vt acclaim 2 years ago, it was the ABS module and after replacing it, all good.

10. acarmody

acarmody Donati..Whoa Green

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Has anyone used the Ebay swapover sellers? I don't want to waste good money and be getting a raw deal.

11. BlackVT5.7

BlackVT5.7 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec 5.7

lol, i dont think he would find anything searching for modual. Try Module.

Piece of piss changing the module over, biggest effort would be some of the screws which are a touch awkward to get at, but other then that its fairly straight forward.

Had the same problem with mine some time ago, ended up buying a new module on a swap basis with Automotive Service Solutions - Supplying the World's Best Brands to the Automotive Industry. for about $325.

12. KenM

KenM New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais II V6
    If the lights come on again including the OIL light unplug the ABS if OIL stays on may be oil sender.
    another test is to read the ABS codes yourself by shorting pin 5 and 12 in the connector under the dash steering colum, use a paper clip then turn on key to bring up dash lights the ABS light will flash code 1 then 2 flashes three times then a new fault code three times each finally back to 12 at the end removing the short will reset the code as the engine ecu also stores code and it can be sent to a new abs unit. Good luck.

13. blownba

blownba New Member

ABS module has failed. It corrupts the data bus line to the dash and will make it do really strange things.
    Temp gauge will go screwwy, all sorts of warning lights...... Lots of different symptoms all ABS related.

Like it has been said just unplug the ABS module (slide the clip out to unplug) and drive like that.
    If that is not the issue I will bare my bum in Burke street mall.

14. noozila

noozila New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman
    would disconnecting my ABS module make my power steering hard? As right now, with all the lights on there is a loss or lack of power steering.

15. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave Donating Member

Members Ride:
    WK Caprice
    YEP. From my experience anyway..

16. club255

club255 New Member

Members Ride:
    2008 Hsv WM Grange
    yep i had the exact smae prob on my vt calais every time the lights came on power sterring went funny.

17. noozila

noozila New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman
    I have just tried this method, at first I though it went away since the ABS light and OIL light was off but then after a couple of sections. All lights when on like it was before.

BTW can changing your brake pads cause this to occur? Apprently, my partner said that it only started happening about my friend and I changed the brake pads. We didnt change the rotor, just the pads.

18. ACEMonkey

ACEMonkey New Member

Members Ride:
    1998 VT Acclaim S1
    Its likely if the ABS sensor or the cable itself is disconnected or damaged during the brake pad changeout it can trigger off your ABS warning light.

19. noozila

noozila New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman
    Are you referring to the cable connected to the caliper? Is there abs sensors on the brakes etc etc? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt - the abs, engine, trac control that is. But more often then it doesnt.

20. drift-it

drift-it New Member

Members Ride:
    '12 Px ranger 4x4
    noozila im fairly sure that the statesman if thats the vehicle your referring too with the abs problems, has a electronic variable power steering system...so the abs unit failing could possibly cause these problems as it causes aircon to stop working and temp gauge to not work etc etc...then again i could be wrong...