Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding the Statesman diversity antenna into VR wagon and other stereo questions

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hey all, I'm wondering how I could add the diversity antenna off a Statesman? I had the idea of buying a cheap rear window demister kit off EBay and hooking it up to the statesman antenna harness, and getting a few adaptors to Change to the single for the Pioneer head unit I'm going to install, and also how could I wire up my steering wheel buttons, I have noticed that the standard Statesman stereo plug looks like one out of a VT, so could I get a plug and play harness for a VT and use that in my VR?
Thanks in advance

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
The steering wheel control buttons require an additional module installed (called a "cat10" or something) which apparently I can't get anymore .

As for the antena I dont know , I've still got the extra lead tucked away behind my pioneer

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Hey all, I'm wondering how I could add the diversity antenna off a Statesman? I had the idea of buying a cheap rear window demister kit off EBay and hooking it up to the statesman antenna harness, and getting a few adaptors to Change to the single for the Pioneer head unit I'm going to install, and also how could I wire up my steering wheel buttons, I have noticed that the standard Statesman stereo plug looks like one out of a VT, so could I get a plug and play harness for a VT and use that in my VR?
Thanks in advance

cant help with the diversity antenna info but.....

the factory VS steering wheel controls would be difficult to get working, they ran a signal box that decoded the buttons as they were pressed, but that system as far as i know only worked for the factory head units. As "WOFTAM1981" mentioned above, I had also heard that about the CAT10 Units, i could be wrong but i think they were made by stinger.

i'd have to check as i done this a few years ago but basically off the top of my head in my VS executive which didnt have an airbag fitted, i got around this by fitting a set of VX steering wheel controls, used a modified VS Clockspring, i think just cut off the airbag wiring plugs, which were in yellow insulation/conduit, and used 2 more plugs off an second VS clock spring soldered onto what is the airbag wiring, which kept the horn functioning normally. this will leave you with 2 wires coming out from the clockspring under the dash for the steering wheel controls, one goes to earth, the other wire goes to the trigger wire to one of the module's i mention below.

Depending on what model pioneer unit you have, do you have a part no? you could use something like a Pac Audio SWI-RC, which you can get off ebay for about $60 AU from the USA with shipping at the moment or $99 total from an Australian seller, which needs hookup wire directly out the back of the headunit, this is what i used

if you dont have this you might need to run the infrared type which is SWI-X, and about $130 off ebay, but you need to make sure your model suits

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
the only issue i have is the Mode button doesn't work, the PAC units work on resistance, and the resistance for that was off, but doesnt bother me, the mute, and Volume up/down and track up/down all work perfect, though with enough patience you could probably get it working buy soldering in the resistors that are supplied with the unit