Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on building some SPL sub boxes

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm hoping that we can get most of the actual box done this weekend, I don't like my chances but here's hoping. During the week I can take it too a cabinet maker of someone and cut the holes for the ports, OR I can cut it with a jigsaw and use a router, only problem is I would need to buy the router bit and that would probably cost more then taking it to someone.

Ports are nearly finished, just got to do a bit more sanding and then paint them, just got to wait till Thursday to get a new part for my Dads random orbital sander so I can use it, best tool with my ports so far.

Got myself some fiberglass supplies so I might give that a whirl if I get time.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Just use a jigsaw for the subs / ports. They dont have to be perfect, just seal them up well.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
He only got about 2 hours of work done today before he had to go out. But he got all the panel cut to size, just needs to sand a bit of excess off, just coincidental that I broke his sander yesterday, karma's a bitch, part for it arrives on Thursday.

Yes the top is done too, just not in picture.
snc00310t.jpg

My dad must think he is some kind of wood scientist or something. No seriously wood dust is a bitch to get off. Why hes wearing his really expensive (but very comfy) hiking shoes is beyond me though. The machine he is using makes the sides perfectly flat.
snc00309f.jpg

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Thats awesome.....wish i had a shed like that!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your dad is a smart man. The say MDF dust is on par with asbestos !!! I always mean to get a mask but end up buying the wood, getting side tracked by a sausage sizzle or something, and always come home minus a mask:whistling

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
He wanted to get one of those really good cyclone systems that clear the air down to 1 micron but they are really expensive but what he has is still pretty good.

Yeah those damn sausage sizzles outside Bunnings are the bomb, what does the hardworking traddie or handyman want more than a snag and a cold drink.

EDIT: Maybe I should stop letting my dog go into the shed with my dad, she just lays there next to him, but always seems to lay where the wood-dust is falling. She always leaves the shed totally covered in wood dust and particles.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well no work today as my mum had a car accident. Which was annoying because I was planning on screwing and gluing the box together today.

Shes fine, tiny bit of whiplash. Other retard tried overtaking on the right when she was turning right, retard. Main collision was on drivers door, not too bad, doors knocked in about 6 inches, scrape right down the whole right-side of car.

So next day I can work on it is Thursday.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK didn't get much work done this week, hopefully my dad can assemble it this weekend. But I got the baffle done, not a bad outcome considering its basically my first time doing work with a jigsaw. The port hole are tight enough that you have to bash the port into place, guess I don't have to worry about how its going to hold in place, you can see in the third pic that the port is holding the baffle up, but it will take a lot more before it moves.

snc00359.jpg
snc00360.jpg
snc00361b.jpg
snc00362n.jpg

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Great work with the baffle, 25mm isnt fun to cut with a jigsaw is it? ;)

Should be loud.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No it was a right royal bitch, on one of the port holes the bottom was smaller than the top, so obviously the blade was angling, thankfully I made the hole smaller than required for safety and I just sanded it out.