Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on painting VE silver nitrate?

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
Hi guys going to be installing a bonnet scoop on my ve, but while im at it I'm goin to repaint the bonnet and front bar.
The question is what sort of paints I should use? what sort of gun/size tip? as the paint is metallic, I'm pretty handy with my hands and I like doing a quality job
Cheers

bnw69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan. VY Ute.
First thing to do is honestly ask yourself can I do this to a standard I will be happy with or should I get a pro to do it. Silvers can be difficult to spray if you have no experience as they are prone to mottling on large surfaces. If you do decide to give it a go buy a bonnet from the wreckers and have a practice first.
There a 2 options what paint to use, acrylic or 2 pac. 2 pac is what your car is painted in now and is far superior to acrylic but it does have some serious health issues and shouldn't be sprayed at home so try and hire a booth if possible or if you do do it at home make sure you have a good mask and and a way to vent the fumes. Acrylic is a lot less harmful but will require sanding and buffing to bring up a good gloss finish and isn't as durable as 2 pac.
Nozzle size usually 1.3 or 1.4mm for 2 pac base and clear and 1.8 to 2mm for primer, Acrylic 1.8 to 2mm for everything but this varies a little so ask your paint suppliers they will have a tech sheet on their brand of paint that will give full recommendations on tip size, mixing ratios drying times etc.
Nitrate silver has a few variants as well so you may need to blend into your front guards to achieve a good colour match.

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
First thing to do is honestly ask yourself can I do this to a standard I will be happy with or should I get a pro to do it. Silvers can be difficult to spray if you have no experience as they are prone to mottling on large surfaces. If you do decide to give it a go buy a bonnet from the wreckers and have a practice first.
There a 2 options what paint to use, acrylic or 2 pac. 2 pac is what your car is painted in now and is far superior to acrylic but it does have some serious health issues and shouldn't be sprayed at home so try and hire a booth if possible or if you do do it at home make sure you have a good mask and and a way to vent the fumes. Acrylic is a lot less harmful but will require sanding and buffing to bring up a good gloss finish and isn't as durable as 2 pac.
Nozzle size usually 1.3 or 1.4mm for 2 pac base and clear and 1.8 to 2mm for primer, Acrylic 1.8 to 2mm for everything but this varies a little so ask your paint suppliers they will have a tech sheet on their brand of paint that will give full recommendations on tip size, mixing ratios drying times etc.
Nitrate silver has a few variants as well so you may need to blend into your front guards to achieve a good colour match.

thank you very much for that I reckon I could do I good job I'm not one for half job, I have been a first class sheet metal fabricator for 12 years so I am pickie when it come to quality, I will take all your advice on board, I have had a little industrial spray painting before so I have some Idea but thanks again

bnw69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan. VY Ute.
No worries nothing but respect for someone willing to give it a go, hope it all works out for you. If you don't already know how have a look online for vids on applying a drop coat or tech coat, will even out the metallics in the silver and make the job a lot easier .

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
No worries nothing but respect for someone willing to give it a go, hope it all works out for you. If you don't already know how have a look online for vids on applying a drop coat or tech coat, will even out the metallics in the silver and make the job a lot easier .

Ok thanks will have a look

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Use a 1.4 tip on a gravity fed gun. The pressure you need will change depending on the type of gun. For my conventional type satajet 90 gravity gun, I use around 50psi. HVLP guns require much less air pressure though, and pressure is also determined by the viscosity of the paint.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Definitely go 2k for your ve man. Go to a proper paint shop and get it matched and made up. Still no guarantee your bonnet will match. It's a bit much to explain blending in a forum post lol so maybe check out some YouTube Clip's or something if you want to go that way.

Silver is up there when it comes to colours that are hard to paint. Which is why I recommend an automotive paint store and some good paint. Use the correct basecoat thinner as well. You wanna be ahead from the start with silver lol. As for brands (everyone's opinion will probably differ anyway) but I found Dupont basecoat to be quite user friendly. It seemed to lay down allot nicer than the ppg I use at work.

Good luck man and make sure you practice allot before you hit your bonnet.

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
Definitely go 2k for your ve man. Go to a proper paint shop and get it matched and made up. Still no guarantee your bonnet will match. It's a bit much to explain blending in a forum post lol so maybe check out some YouTube Clip's or something if you want to go that way.

Silver is up there when it comes to colours that are hard to paint. Which is why I recommend an automotive paint store and some good paint. Use the correct basecoat thinner as well. You wanna be ahead from the start with silver lol. As for brands (everyone's opinion will probably differ anyway) but I found Dupont basecoat to be quite user friendly. It seemed to lay down allot nicer than the ppg I use at work.

Good luck man and make sure you practice allot before you hit your bonnet.

Thanks for advice, the front and rear bars don't match the car anyway, so I don't know why but I here a lot of people with VE's have the same issue, I will definitely take my time and do it right I only like doing a job once, people I work with say I'm to fussy but they always ask me to do stuff for them not someone else

danieljo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 08
thanks for all your advice guys greatly appreciated :smoking: