Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on tracking down family of deceased former girlfriend - NSW.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Im not going to hide joining FB from her. I have already told her that it would be nice to be able to contact those old friends so I have plenty of sound reasons to join. The one reason I haven't joined before now is less significant than it was and this search is far more important to me.

This search is very private. It won't be getting circulated.

Question; Is asking to be a friend the only way you can initially contact a member or is there a PM setup?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m a baby at FB.
Someone else on here should know.

Or just try it.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
If you want to keep it private I wouldn't go to FB,

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, by private I meant keeping the inquiries to the bare minimum and only approaching people after I had as much info as possible to narrow the field down. No friends or relo's to be involved. But I understand your point. FB is pretty open despite its "safeguards".

Another question. Can the other half see who I have been in touch with IF she's not a friend? (Though that won't be possible, obviously).

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Mate you never know who knows who. Went to Canada years ago and was talking to a guy never met before.
when I eventually got home to my town I ran into a guy down the RSL who told me about his friend in Canada whom I had met, to small a world for me Im afraid.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hmm. Perhaps might hold off on FB then for a bit. At this stage, I might sit tight and wait for the certificate to see how much info it provides. The only other info the family members could provide would be to fill the details of in those last years about work and after all this time, they may not be clear on them anyway.

It's times like that that it would have been handy to still be working. From my position at the time of my retirement, I might have been able to contact personnel and seek details of her final years of service. Hell, I don't even know if she was still employed by the Police Department when she passed away. She'd had two children so she might have left before then to care for them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I meant you could join FB to connect with other mates not necessarily related to this lost GF, or both.
Yes, you can PM someone on FB who you are not friends with. I'm not 100% sure if that depends on their privacy settings though. It's always worked when Ive needed to do this.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok you know where she used to work so if you Goggle the company it might have a Facebook page.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Join FB, review all privacy settings, only give FB the info you want to or even make some of it up. It only knows what you tell it.

Also you can just message people you find and ask questions.

Click "Find Friends" fill out the bits under in "Search for Friends" click their name so it goes to their page, then hit "Message" right next to "Add Friend".

Keep and eye out for responses.

repeat.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You don't even have to use your own name. You can join FB using the name John Smith if you want