Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
Thats AWESOME!!!!!!! I've had an L76 that was rattly as all hell. I now own an L77 and it much nicer and as stated I believe they have the revised lifters in them anyway. Great news mate, and great to see Holden looking after you. Dubbo Dealership wasn't it??

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Yup Dubbo is the place! I wonder if they'll have any trouble adapting the engine in?

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Blue i feel your pain re: fat fingers.

Got some great news though, Holden are replacing the motor with a brand spanking newy! Unfortunately they can't fit up another
L76 so they are fitting a new series 2 engine! What are they an L77?

Good to hear mate, and yep L77, I dont know what they did to mine in production but lol

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruzer, what build date is yours?? I'm wondering if early L77's had the dodgy L76 lifters in them as the revised lifters only came out in like November 2010?? Plus, when I hit up my local parts guy re: lifter part number he wanted to know whether my L77 was a 2011 model. When I told him it was he produced the revised lifter part number from his computer, even though you apparently can't get them in Australia yet. Where are these motors actually built anyway?? South Aussie or are they crate motors built in the States??

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Cruzer, what build date is yours?? I'm wondering if early L77's had the dodgy L76 lifters in them as the revised lifters only came out in like November 2010?? Plus, when I hit up my local parts guy re: lifter part number he wanted to know whether my L77 was a 2011 model. When I told him it was he produced the revised lifter part number from his computer, even though you apparently can't get them in Australia yet. Where are these motors actually built anyway?? South Aussie or are they crate motors built in the States??

Hey bluessv, mine was one of the first, Sep 10, so that prob sounds why i may have the dodgy ones, so in theory if mine were to be changed under warranty id get these revised ones? Our V8 motors come out of lovely Mexico as far as i know lol and shipped as "crate motors" from the US

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well look, the guys in the States have been getting their lifters replaced under warranty with the new revised lifters since about November 2010. So if you, or anyone else with an earlier L76, were to get them replaced I'd imagine they (Holden)would use the new lifters. The problem is, according to Hexem's mate, the revised lifters can be located on the "parts system" but apparently not available in Australia yet. So this would obviously affect any repair for us Aussie guys. When I asked my parts guy he provided me with the revised part number without any prompting....except to let him know it's a 2011 build. I asked him what the part number was for the eight (8) non-AFM lifters in there and he said they were all AFM lifters....unlike the L76 design. He went on further to say Holden had changed the lifter numbers....blah blah blah....and had only one (1) lifter part number listed for the L77. Which is why I thought the L77 may have had all sixteen (16) lifters as AFM lifters. Only speculation though and can only be confirmed by someone jumping in who actually pulled down an L77 for upgrades.

If my suspicions are correct, you may have the old L76 style lifters in your L77. Mine is a April 2011 build and she's as quiet as!! And all you have to do is read the threads from the G8 guys and they'll confirm that once GM replaced their lifters with the revised lifters their tick tick tick went away and hasn't come back.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
I have a May build '11 & havent had any noises yet, but we've only done 1000kms so far.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Hmmmm so the L77's sole difference to the L76 is in the lifters? ie All AFM lifters and they are revised design? I never did see a full invoice from Holden to show which replacement lifters they used on mine.

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't say that's the only difference especially with the lifter thing. Its only my speculation that the L77 has all AFM lifters. That needs to be confirmed by someone who's actually done some work on them. There would be other differences, most probably with pollution stuff perhaps. There has to be some changes in the tune too as the L77 is E85 suitable; unlike the L76.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Bill,

Good news they are getting you a new motor. Lets hope that one is the goods and you can enjoy your car....