Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Here are some known problems

#1.. The liquid lines at the reciever drier seize onto to the reciever drier. Replacement of the liquid line from the reciever drier to the tx valve. Or the replacement of the condensor or both. Approx. $190 - $500 gassed

#2.. Discharge hose leaking. Hose from the compressor to the condensor. Approx $200 gassed

#3.. Tx valve leaking. Small valve that regulates the gas flow. Approx. $200

#4.. Evaporator leaking. Behind the dash. (Dash out 10 hours) Approx $850

#5.. Condensor leaks. Normally top left hand side. Approx $500

#6.. Liquid line leaking at P' Clamp on condensor. Approx $190

#7.. Compressor leaking or self distructing. Approx $1200

#8.. Leaking Heater tap. Causes loss of cooling. Approx $60

#9.. Heater tap staying on. Vacuum switch problem. Approx $50

#10.. leaking on floor. Drain tube blocked. Approx. $20 for deblocking

These are the most common problems I get with the A/c system on VR-S Commodores.

Don't be too scared of the problems, just be aware of them and that The A/c does NOT just need "re-gassing" it WILL have a problem.

Regards Guy.

D

death-from-above

Just out of interest how much water should be coming out of the A/C system after a drive and using the climate control. It's just that lately ive noticed a fair bit of water and if I park it in the garage then its gonne make a mess without a drip tray or rags underneath it.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Part of an A/c's job is to not only remove the heat from the cabin but to also remove the moisture. If the days are very humid then you will get heaps of water draining out of the drain tube.

But bear in mind that if the a/c is a little too cool then the evap may be freezing up slightly and this can cause a lot of water to drain once the system is turned off.

The other problem can be a slightly blocked up drain tube, this makes the water build up (especially on humid days) and when the car is parked it just runs out over time. There for BIG puddle.

One thing to be warned about is to look out for any signs of green in the water. This can be a sign that the heater core is leaking.

Most cars will drain for about 5-10 minutes after the a/c is turned off and the water is just a sign that the a/c is working well.

Sorry can't tell you how much is normal because all cars vary somewhat and again it depends highly on weather the day is humid and if you run the a/c on inside air flow (recirculate) or outside (fresh).

Regards Guy.

D

death-from-above

I take it then if you are running the fresh air there would be more water because the air will be warmer than outside, than if it has already been cooled and circulated before hand??

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Yes the air is warmer outside than the recirculated air inside (thats why the A/c does not work so hard when in the recirc mode) but the other thing is that the a/c has already taken out most of the moisture in the cabin air. The air outside, on humid days, is moisture laiden...thus more water from the drain tube.

Regards Guy.

hjmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan, VY Wagon
Hi I have a VS SII Calais with a air cond/climate control problem when you press the on/auto button it doesn't always come on then 2 minutes or longer it will come on by its self I think it might be in the switch or in the fan speed resistor any help would be great

Cheers

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just to help a little...does the airconditioner pump cut in straight away or not?

Guessing that the blower fan is not operating for this first two minutes!

Is that the only thing that does not operate when this happens?

Does it operate OK if you turn the a/c off wilst the car is running and then turn it back on?

Does the a/c work OK when it is running...e.g. cold and vents operating correctly?

Regards Guy.

hjmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan, VY Wagon
Hi Guy
Thanks for your prompt reply every thing else in the car works ok when it works it is cold . Tonight we went out started the car put air con on nothing happened screen is blank press the auto/on button several time then let it alone drove for 20min before it came on by its self coming home it took 15min before it came on occasionally but rarely does it come on straight away. Pump and fan start straight away when it comes on if you turn it off when the car is running some times it works some times it doesn't and when I bang the console it doesn't make any difference

Cheers

Fixed : It was a dodgy Relay in engine bay

Last edited:

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be one of the change over relays.(accessory relay maybeor warning lamp check relay)....will see if I can get my wiring diagram book back over the weekend and try and work it out for you.

Regards Guy

P

PeZzA

Hi,
I noticed you said that if there is green in the water then the heater core could be leaking. I have a problem where green water comes out into the drivers side when doing left turns, i pulled my dash out to have a look, and the pic attached is what i saw.

What does it normally take to fix something like this? and should i get it fixed immediately?

Thanks.