Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
How about a problem where the a/c works fine one day but simply does zip the next day, dash seems to be OK, no blown fuses that I can find, the dash fan works OK.

The compressor just no longer kicks in.

Not that it should matter but the compressor pulley bearing ($50) was replaced a month prior but nothing else was touched, literally, and the a/c worked fine both before and after, but without the noisy bearing sounds.

I have been told by fairly relyable source that once the gas drops to a certain pressure level the entire thing just stops which is what happened, is this true.

The thermo fan also does not kick in, allthough it might if the thing was hot, I have not tried to boil it just to check the fan.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
VS 5l.
I have 2 problems firstly nothing happens when I hit the air con switch, normally I would expect at least a change in revs or w/e but I get nothing. All the air con bloke I talked to told me was to regas it, and then after forking out the cash, if it leaks they can regas it again with some ink stuff to see where it leaks or something. If the compressor is out of gas will it alter revs when turned on?

Secondly my air con fan is permanently on...I haven't had air con since I got the car so when someone pointed it out to me the day it happened I just unplugged it and left it. But I wanna get the aircon in working order before summer so this will be a problem im thinking.

holdendriver21

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs sedan
i have a vs commodore sedan the aircon only comes on when it wants to could it be the relay also the thermo fan doesnt work so we have the air con on hoping it will make the thermo fan kick in

GonnaHaveago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
VT Dash removal

G'day, I have a VT Commodore and I'm having problems with the aircon. I know there's some need for some work under the bonnet but it now seems that I have a problem with the fan and air direction in the dash. I can put the fan on the windscreen but not on the face.

I'm wanting to know if there are things that I should check (relays etc) before I go to the extreme of removing the dash.

If I have to remove the dash does anyone have a set of instructions that might be followed?

76hq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen3
hi holden driver
try the earth lead from the battery to the body (short one ) this is a common problem . my vs had starting problems aircon problems power problems when i changed the earth lead to a thicker lead and bolted it to the shock tower bolt everthing was fixed

calais_SC6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS Calais
Hi Guys,
To cut the long story short, before this evening my air con compressor was working fine but had no gas in my aircondition system in my VS Calais, but as soon as the mechanic put the gas in the air con system it started to cool the air and then all of a sudden the compressor kicked out then kicked back in and vise versa.

Basically the compressor only kicks in when it feels like it and the mechanic said it could be the compressor which will cost me $700.

I'm hoping its not the compressor, could it be a TX valve or a orificle valve? if yes how much do the valves cost or what else could be causing the compressor to turn on then shut down then turn on then shut down again?

Any help would be great please, because l have an appointment ifirst thing n the morning if you guys can help me out that would be great so when l rock up l can let him know l'm not a noob...

thanks!!!!

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi Guys,
To cut the long story short, before this evening my air con compressor was working fine but had no gas in my aircondition system in my VS Calais, but as soon as the mechanic put the gas in the air con system it started to cool the air and then all of a sudden the compressor kicked out then kicked back in and vise versa.

Basically the compressor only kicks in when it feels like it and the mechanic said it could be the compressor which will cost me $700.

I'm hoping its not the compressor, could it be a TX valve or a orificle valve? if yes how much do the valves cost or what else could be causing the compressor to turn on then shut down then turn on then shut down again?

Any help would be great please, because l have an appointment ifirst thing n the morning if you guys can help me out that would be great so when l rock up l can let him know l'm not a noob...

thanks!!!!

Firstly, the A/C compressor won't kick in if you have no gas... it's an inbuilt safety mechanism, same as if the pressure is too high, it will also cut out if necessary. As you have climate control, the A/C compressor won't run all the time, even if you have A/C switched on. It will cycle on and off as the climate system sees necessary, to maintain your set temperature.

For example, if you have the cabin temp set to 22 degrees, and its 24 degrees outside, the compressor will only use little bits of A/C on to help maintain the temperature, and of course this is done with the input variables from a number of different sensors in the system, such as the evaporator sensor, sunlight sensor, outside ambient sensor etc.

If you have the cabin set to 16 degrees, and the outside ambient is 45 degrees, the compressor will continuously run until the system gets to your desired temperature, essentially it's virtually impossible to get the cabin down to 16 degrees at that ambient, but the system will try its hardest to get close.

calais_SC6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS Calais
but it was running all the time before regardless of the climate temp, just now it started doing it so what should it be? l just went outside and where you put the gas in from the pipe, it was making a funny grinding noise there? could there be something wrong with the gas valve there?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
but it was running all the time before regardless of the climate temp, just now it started doing it so what should it be? l just went outside and where you put the gas in from the pipe, it was making a funny grinding noise there? could there be something wrong with the gas valve there?

Definitely doesn't sound right... there could also be a problem with one of the sensors in the system giving the climate control module an incorrect reading, such as saying the temperature is higher than it really is etc... Might be an idea to take it to a qualified auto airconditioning place, they will have all the proper gear to test everything out properly.

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Take it back to the mechanic who worked on it mate, it isn't really safe to be playing around with the a/c gasses.