Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Always used Nulon in my VY.. best choice imo

B

BXHD

Penrite HPR 10.. i think 5W-30 ehhhh cant remember.
its HPR 10 and Penrite, thats for sure. il get back to u on the other didgets. its semi-mineral i think. for high performance ;)

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I'd avoid Magnatech, an oil that "sticks" to parts? No thanks, no wonder the oil sensor got fubar. It's also a no-no for turbo's, i'd imagine an oil with some gummy sticky crap put through it.

Just go a good quality organic 15-40 or something around there, no need to go full synthetic unless you have spare $$ to throw around. Doing an oil change regularly (every 7500kms) is better for the engine that any expensive oil. I changed my oil and filter on my turbo lancer every 5000kms because it was an easy DIY.

Oh yeah always let your engine warm up and take it easy before bringing it above 3000rpm. 90% of engine wear is done within the first 10 mins of driving. If you really love your car you should let it idle after a cold start for a minute.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I usually run the Magnatec and change to Edge for track/skid pan days because Im changing the oil just for that day anyway so I might as well chuck in something that supposidly helps, so 11 out of 12 months a year mines on Magnatec - no issues to date.

Been running only Magnatec for 3 years, this year was the only one where Ive changed to Edge for the one off thrash days.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I'd avoid Magnatech, an oil that "sticks" to parts? No thanks, no wonder the oil sensor got fubar. It's also a no-no for turbo's, i'd imagine an oil with some gummy sticky crap put through it.

Just go a good quality organic 15-40 or something around there, no need to go full synthetic unless you have spare $$ to throw around. Doing an oil change regularly (every 7500kms) is better for the engine that any expensive oil. I changed my oil and filter on my turbo lancer every 5000kms because it was an easy DIY.

Oh yeah always let your engine warm up and take it easy before bringing it above 3000rpm. 90% of engine wear is done within the first 10 mins of driving. If you really love your car you should let it idle after a cold start for a minute.

The Magnatec sticking is a fact, nothing to do with it sticking and screwing up a sensor. Magnatec contained 10-20% Ester base Group 5, which has a natural polarity to metals, meaning it is attracted to it, almost like static paper to a plastic ruler. Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, also contain some of it as besides sticking, it has high load pressue capabilities and a natural solvent (cleaner) mixes well with the anti wear and other additives and seal sweller. The possible problem with Magnatec may lie in the other 80%, possible cheaper base oil and additives. Some engines love it like the LS1's. Sodium is the additive sometimes used to effect oil pressure.

I have been told of some issues in Turbo's on a BM or Merc cannot remember, but that is because it was used incorrectly with another ester based additive, so the seals over swelled. You recommend an organic oil which is exactly what the remainder of the Magnatec is. But definately some oils suit certain cars better than others. The key with overhead cam designs is go with a lighter startup weight, as you need the oil up top quicker than with older engine designs.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
we use magnatec at work in cars, i personally dont like it, seems to sludge i.e like the motors are burning the oil making the dark brown build up, thats why i firmly believe the bonds to the surfaces of metal as the marketing idea of sludge haha,

i personally use valvoline durablend 5w-30, runs great in it

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Fair enough if you like magnatech by all means keep using it. But it's been said over many forums for all types of cars, (as andyman said) it builds up a black sludge. To me that sounds like the additives in the oil that makes it "bond" as their description states. I'll personally be avoiding it :)

Ruzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 & E36 318i
Anyone else had bad experiences with Magnatec 10W-40. I just bought some for my next oil change, i'm hoping its not as bad as mentioned above and that was a once off...

yeh in my bmw changed oil to Magnatec 10W-40 and got a timing chain rattle everytime i started it changed back to gtx 3 15-40 and went away!