Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just quietly, that's frogshit. You do not need to warm cars up these days.

wikky I never stated you "must" warm your car up, it was just a suggestion. Yes though letting your car idle for a minute after a cold start is still better for the engine rather than just taking off like most do. Personally I don't do that but i still take it easy until the oil warms up.

To the other post, I used GTX3 for years on a turbo setup, didn't notice any bad smell from it or the exhaust. It's a good oil but tended to blacken quickly running through the hot turbo housing. It didnt the high temps but it wasn't a problem because i did a oil/filter change every 5000kms.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I;ve just put in Edge 10w60 for the summer, i got on special voucher, Mobil 1 5w50 is my next pic for winter for $49 at Autobarn now.

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Just quietly, that's frogshit. You do not need to warm cars up these days.

just quietly your comments frogshit. every engine should be warmed up, why do you think when you start your engine cold it revs much higher briefly- thats called an automatic choke trying to warm your engine up from cold and making it as economical as possible (by getting all those parts clearances to expand quicker. i always let my car warm up and only start driving when the idles drops to normal.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Wikky is actually right, you don't need to warm your car up. You also don't need to run in a brand new engine anymore. Get with the times ladies.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
just quietly your comments frogshit. every engine should be warmed up, why do you think when you start your engine cold it revs much higher briefly- thats called an automatic choke trying to warm your engine up from cold and making it as economical as possible (by getting all those parts clearances to expand quicker. i always let my car warm up and only start driving when the idles drops to normal.

Wrong, Engines don't need to be warmed up these days, they should not be driven hard till up to normal operating temperature though.

MY VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i just did an oil service and put in the Nulon 10w-30, been a couple of days now and seems fine

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
I swear by magnatec 10W-40. Have run it in 3 of my past cars over 3-4 years and never had any issues. Infact when i had the xr8 i switched it to magnatec, and 5000km oil changes, after a few the oil came out a dark golden brown during the oil change. That to me indicates a clean running engine. I now use it in my VZ, and have done for the past 6 months, no problems to date, and i change the oil every 7500km

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
I swear by magnatec 10W-40. Have run it in 3 of my past cars over 3-4 years and never had any issues. Infact when i had the xr8 i switched it to magnatec, and 5000km oil changes, after a few the oil came out a dark golden brown during the oil change. That to me indicates a clean running engine. I now use it in my VZ, and have done for the past 6 months, no problems to date, and i change the oil every 7500km

Oil coming out clean can also indicate the oil is not doing it job. Really expensive synthetic oils have detergents that clean the inside of the engine and therefore the oil always comes out very dark, showing the oil is doing its job.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I've been using Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 for years on 3 different cars with oil changes every 5000 to 7500km on average. I have never noticed a build up of varnish or sludge as a consequence. I got a Nissan N15 Pulsar about 12 months ago and it was not looked after well and I began using Magnatec in it with 5000km changes which came out filthy and had a fair amount of sludge left in the drain tray after I emptied that. After 4 oil changes the sludge has all but gone so I'll put my 2 bobs worth in and say it has done a good job cleaning out that engine with no ill effects, The engine is on 130,000km and uses no oil and is very quiet.