Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Timing Chains replacement

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
Had to jump start it a few times, even at the petrol station after I filled up. Battery needs replacing. Battery was not connected for 3 weeks for the timing job. It does not wobble at idle and engine revs seems to be restored and not gutless like before.

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Nice work vn :)

Today i've just put the heads back on, timing gear and covers. (dry) compression test everything is above 170 psi. Tomorrow cant happen soon enough for me now.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like you guys have got this issue under your belts. Good work. I'm hoping one of you might go to the trouble of doing a how to on it . I know a fair bit has been covered in this thread but not really step by step.

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Got her running this afternoon. Actually started up as if it was any ordinary day, and not some 6 week complete top end tear down. Will write a conclusion post soon, and quite possibly a general guide as that seems like a good idea to anyone else that might be doing this job.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Got her running this afternoon. Actually started up as if it was any ordinary day, and not some 6 week complete top end tear down. Will write a conclusion post soon, and quite possibly a general guide as that seems like a good idea to anyone else that might be doing this job.
Congrats.

If you could do a detailed write-up, that would be great. Hope you took some pics.

spac1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
I am currently rebuilding by late 06 alloytec out of a vz (WD4).

I went to holden to price all new parts including timing chains, tensioners, seals, head gaskets etc.

They have me a written quote for just under $2,000 however this quote came with all the part numbers aswell.

Now, Holden is part of general motors, they're part numbers are are same world wide and this engine is also used in a 06 - 11 Cadillac STS.

I am currently waiting for my order from GM Parts Direct which cost me just under $600 AUS shipped. which has exactly all the same parts and part numbers.

So with the exchange rates as they are now i would highly recommend importing any parts at this stage in time.

edgey

Reaction score
Members Ride
RA rodeo
guides

Hi,
I'm getting a P0341 cam sensor out of range and local deal said it was either poor oil quality (which its not) or timing chains stretched. What I've ready i should be getting a p002 code? The symptoms sound the same, poor fuel economy, engine light on, will start first crank some times and other will not start until 3rd 4th crank, some times normal other times limp home mode. Sound like chains?? or another fault?

Do the guides really need replacing, local dealer has none in stock and i'm wondering if they really need to be replaced or can i get away with just Chains and tensioners?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Edgey

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
I am currently rebuilding by late 06 alloytec out of a vz (WD4).

I went to holden to price all new parts including timing chains, tensioners, seals, head gaskets etc.

They have me a written quote for just under $2,000 however this quote came with all the part numbers aswell.

Now, Holden is part of general motors, they're part numbers are are same world wide and this engine is also used in a 06 - 11 Cadillac STS.

I am currently waiting for my order from GM Parts Direct which cost me just under $600 AUS shipped. which has exactly all the same parts and part numbers.

So with the exchange rates as they are now i would highly recommend importing any parts at this stage in time.

Please supply us with the part numbers in your quote.

spac1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
See attached image.

I still need to order head bolts and rear crank gasket however.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• parts.JPG
    parts.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,788