Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternator warning light flashing - charging fully!!

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Same as the first couple of posts for me. Software error. Best of luck!

CommodoreHero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Ok.
I have a 2008 VE Calais L98.
I had ALTERNATOR Warning light pop up the other day.
So I put it in engineering mode and it was sitting at 14.2v then it would fluctuate and sit on 13.6v and not move.
Yesturday it went down to 11.4v and struggled to start.
Now the word part.

I put a multimeter on the battery and it read 16.5v while the batteryoung terminals were connected and 11.2v disconnected.
I probed the ecu with the multimeter connected to the terminals and could see that when it sat at 11.2v (Battery terminals disconnected voltage) then I connected it up I would have activity on the charge signal wire from the comp.
Then I would connect up a calcium battery charger and fully charged the battery then start the car I wouldn't have any activity on the charge signal wire on the comp. But then it would run the voltage down to around 13v and I would see activity on the charge signal wire.
Then the multimeter would read over 16v at connected terminals and 11.2v disconnected.
So the regulator I reckon is balls up.
FUBAR.
I tried the old school trick of disconnecting terminals and see if the car still ran and she died in the arse.
But I'm not sure if old school rules apply to which with it dying after taking the terminals off a running engine means the alternator was shot.
Is that still a relevant theory.

Any who.
I have bought a replacement alternator and I will update the post in a few days after it arrives and I get it fitted.