Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Warning ?? VE Alloytec

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by greenacc, Dec 16, 2012.

1. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    So i went for a drive today and just as i pulled into a carpark the Alternator warning popped up on the centre screen. It came up again after shopping then disappeared.
    It's the first time i have seen this warning and i've had the car over 2 years. It's got 180,000 k's on it.

Did a search and found an old thread about a rusty terminal so i will check that out. Has anyone here had to replace their Alternator on a VE Alloytec ? I see Holmart has them for about $290 if i need to go that way... would i need the 100 or 120 Amp unit ? It is a series 1 Berlina.

2. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Hasn't anyone had this issue before ?
    I checked what i can see of my alternator and it is a 100 Amp unit and i can't see any corrosion on anything, but its hidden away pretty well se i can't see much.

3. Sean880

Sean880 Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE SV6 series 2 and 911 Porsche 997
    With those 180000 kms and operating hours on the car the brushes in the alternator will be badly worn and need replacing. They are a wear item and do not last indefinitely. At the same time change the voltage regulator . Or you can renew the entire alternator.

4. Benboy

Benboy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2007 SVZ Wagon
    Take the car to an Auto Electrician to have the problem diagnosed. To do otherwise could be a complete waste of your money as it seems you do not have a very high understanding of automotive electronics. Good luck.