Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another project... am I crazy??

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Hi all,

I currently drive a VP series II commodore, practically stock V6 engine.

Basically, im in the mood for a project. Obviously lots of people have converted their V6 commodores to V8's. What I am interested to know is:

- Whats a V8 motor for a VP worth from the wrecker (rough figure)?
- Do I need another tranny (im thinking yes...) and if so how much?
- How much wiring loom do I need to manufacture?
- Is there anything in the fuel system I need to modify?
- Any radiator differences?
- Engine mount / crossmember differences?
- Steering rack (although I doubt it).

And also how much stuff can I salvage off the V6 -- Ie Power steer pump, Alternator, Air cond??

My reasoning is if I can find a really thrashed out V8 engine, I could put it on the bench and rebuild it at my own leisure, while still having my car to drive around in. Then when the time comes, in goes mr V8.

Since my V6 has only done about 160,000 I am thinking that I also could sell that engine when im finished, since there is basically nothing wrong with it at all.

Am I insane??

Any comments appreciated!

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Insane? Hardly. This is an easy project. Your best bet would be to go to the auction and find yourself a rolled V8 Commodore. If you can, get either a low klm VT+ or get an older (cheaper) one and spend some time re-doing the engine with a better cam, heads package. Get the engine to just how you want it, before you put it in - do everything because it is a hassle to pull it all out again to change things like extractors, cam, etc...

When I id my project all those years ago (6), I purchased from one guy a low klm EFI VN V8 from radiator to gaerbox for $4300. This gave me all the stuff to go with it - computer, wiring loom, manifolds, etc... Now-a-days you will get a whole wreck for less than that.

The whole V6 to V8 has been done and is easy. Want something different? Try a Lexus V8 - Quad cam, 4.0ltr. Or maybe even a Nissan V8 - Quad cam 4.5ltr. These engines may be smaller in capacity but have much better heads and revving ability. They take well to some boosting as well. The old Holden V8 is a great engine but can take a little to keep up with the GEN III's these days.

Anyway, hope that helps.

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Cheers for that, as you said if I can find a written off / half cut VN/VP it would be much simpler than chasing the parts up individually.

Im not quite keen enough to go into the full hybrid (putting a nissan motor in) since I dont want the hassle of the legality etc. Since the V8 motor was an option.... all I have to do is roll up, show the new engine no, show the engine in the frame... and theres my rego.

Ive just been looking on Ebay at whats avaliable... which is not much right now. Im gonna keep my eyes open, im sure something will come around at the right price, no point wasting my money on a good tidy engine if I am gonna rebuild it completely!!

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
nahh dont go V8 man to many of them out there and the rate at fuel is goin bad idea work and supercharge/turbo/twin turbo a V6 more torqu more fun lol

BrianH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE
Slooth is right about buying a wrecked car from an auction. Most of those damage cars are bought by wreckers and you can bet they will sell the engine and transmission for about three times what they paid for the car.

Check the Pickles and Fowles auction sites. Pickles have most of their damaged car auctions live on the net now. You can see photos of the cars and listen to the bidding. You can even buy on line if you want to. These companies have towing companies contracted to move their cars and they are not expensive. I was recently quoted $160 to take the car 120ks. It is hardly worth hiring a trailer and trying to do it yourself for that.

If you go to an auction be careful of cars with no visable signs of damage. They could be clapped out and the owner stopped paying for them so they were repossed. They could also have been submerged in water. The auction companies will write either fresh or salt water damaged on the windscreen but that warning may not be still there at the wreckers. A salt water car is usually a statutory write off anyway so its body can not be registered again but all of its parts can still be used.

Brian

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
blocks for sale

mite wana av a look at these...dont know if they'd interest you but hey:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29700&item=4550434252&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29700&item=4551095954&rd=1

various engines and gear box combinations, please go to our
web site for all parts that are included with these combinations.

Most engines are no higher Ks than 150000. High Ks are 180000 to 200000 All
of the quoted prices are for low Ks set ups unless other wise stated.

VP V6 and automatic gearbox $2000.00 to $2200.00 High Ks are negotiable.

For manual add $600.00 to $700.00

VS V6 automatic gearbox $2400.00 to $2500.00

manual add $1500 Add $1100.00 for the wiring inter face to convert
this model to your vehicle For VT and later it is a little dearer

VT VX please contact me automatic gearbox $4000 to $4500

V8 VN VP automatic gearbox high Ks $3500.00

V8 VN VP VR VS automatic gearbox $4750.00 to $5000.00

manual add $1500.00

VR VS 185 kw and automatic gearbox $5000.00 to $5500.00

remember VR VS and later require BCM see facts sheet

Chev gen 111 and automatic gearbox $7700.00

Chev gen 111 manual 6 speed $9900.00

Super charged V6 and automatic gearbox VS to WH statesman $6600.00

grant barsby phone 07 41223855

294 Gympie Road Maryborough Qld 4650

located on Gympie Road, Tinana (next to Speedway)

:) (07) 4122 3855

2: (07) 4121 6807

AH: (07) 4121 6807

: [email protected]