Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any boilermakers or welders ? (NO TROLLS PLEASE)

Andy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Hi all. I'm looking to do a Pre-apprenticship course at my tafe. Anything you can reccomend saying that might get me a foot in the door?

Also looking to do my ticket for Stick as well.

These courses are application approval only as there is alot of demand in my area. Just looking for advice.

Trolls need not reply.

/post

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Have you thought about unpaid work experiance at a local fabrication place. I know that's how we put a few apprentice fitters on

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
Have you thought about unpaid work experiance at a local fabrication place. I know that's how we put a few apprentice fitters on

This ^^^^ If you really want to show an employer you're keen, try going around to a few fabrication/engineering shops and make yourself known.
Its good to show that you're keen and have initiative etc.
Who knows, they might even put you on as an apprentice

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
some tickets that will help you are:

Forklift licence.
Boom and Scissor ticket (EWP)
Construction Induction card

having these will surely make you more employable as from what ive seen with the welders at work. they use the first 2 every day.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
well if u were up here i would show u a few things on the Mig and Tig at work seeing that i use em all day fabricating Aluminum goodies..

but as stated a few tickets... a
General Safety Induction Course for construction industry ticket
Fork License is handy.
Definately do a welding course..

Good attitude and work ethics, Confident not cocky. Show initiative,,

Good-luck man

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Theres a douche at work that likes welding (even if a car/truck comes in for a clutch he ends up welding something). Please take him with you. I'm not trolling, i'm serious.

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
Your pre-vocational course at Tafe is going to be your best bet.

If the selection comes down to 2 applicants, & 1 has the pre-voc, guess who's going to get the job?

Some welding certificates can be done without a trade as a prerequisite. Usually they are done at night. They are reasonably priced too.

Anything you can do to show initiative is going to be in your favour.

As mentioned, a forklift ticket might also be an advantage, but not if there aren't any forklifts in your future place of employment.

Take out any facial piercings prior to the interview. Employers don't generally care about your appearance, but any employer in the metal trades will frown apon having to pay workers comp because your piercings got too hot & burnt you!

Show up to the interview in battle dress. [ safety glasses, work boots, long pants & long shirt. Wont hurt to have a welding shield & a pr of gloves under your arm]. You probably wont need them, but it shows you are keen. If you are in battle dress, you stand a better chance of being shown around the complex; which; gives more opportunity to 'meet' your prospective work m8s & make that all important 'first impression'.

I've been in the metal trade for 30yrs. I don't care if someone wearing a T-shirt & thongs disagrees. :)

Oh...... finally.... don't whinge about your wages for the first 2 years. The low pay rates are there to discourage apprentices. It weeds out the 'I'm going to be's'...... from the 'I'm just here for a job' apprentices.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
i did a pre-voc course before i started my trade and if you show up every day and work hard and listen while your there youll have a better chance of getting an apprenticeship. i got picked up early because the employers come in and ask your lecturer who would be the best worker for them.

my best advice would be :
dont be a smart ass
listen and dont be scared to ask questions
dont think you know better then a tradsman
and pick up a broom and use it every day

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I cant answer the question at all, but I can say this. You have a goal and you are doing what you need to do to achieve it. Well done. There should be more of it.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
also when you do get the apprenticehip as in most apprenticeships
dont expect to do too much for the first 2 years other then cleaning. general chores, chasing items for others and so forth (eg locking up the site sheds)

also hint if you do get a job.
if you have nothing to do do not just stand around like a stunned mullet.
clean up. sweep. clean tools/parts etc.

also another course i would recommend is a first aid course, like a Level 2 one.
not necessary but it will help if any situation arises.