Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any info on Mon-Arc welders, and any tips on arc welding

cracker

Reaction score
practice and more practice, anit the best thing all the time arch welders can be very affetivee

VUte89

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz Maloo :)
If they don't look very wide and your doing a butt weld just have your angle a bit closer to 90 degrees as for your fillet weld wanting to hang around on the horizontal plate more, just try changing your angle or point the electrode more at the vertical plate we have these terrible rods at work that do that sometimes everyone at work hates them haha but yea practice and get used to watching your weld puddle you should be able to eventually see what is happening

national machismo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6 Wagon
I just bought myself a second-hand (very old) arc welder off an Uncle, its brand it Mon-Arc, and its a 130amp model, still goes from what hes told me, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience in the brand. This is the same uncle who sold me an Ingersol-Rand 14cfm compressor for $500, and hes an ex-mechanic (retired a long time ago), so I suspect the welder can't be too bad. Also came with a fixed tinted helmet/mask. I figured $85 on this unit has to be better than $100 on a Bunnings special.

Also has anyone go some tips on arc welding? I will be practicing on some metal plates until I get some decent looking beads, than I will practice joining stuff. Dad wants to build a trailer one day, so I need some decent practice.

Also any good brands for the electrodes? I just got a pack of Weldmate (?) or something electrodes but I want to know if there are any better brands out there.

And one last thing, I have some welding gloves, the helmet, and will get some arm sleeves so I don't sunburn my arm, and hopefully I can get something to protect my shoes (I hear slagin the shoes can burn a little bit :p), but is there anything else I need.

imag0123n.jpg
Hiya,
I've just bought same brand M130 Cub. It has a terminal with special. Do you know what this is for?
Cheers
Matt