Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices... How much you earning a week?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
im 1st year diesel and on 250 a week unless i work overtime etc..

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
And plumbers..

You don't have to be into "electrics" to be an electrician. It's just labour work basically, setting up support systems for your cables, running cables and knowing how to fit off the apparatus (power points/lights/switches etc.). The labour work is a hell of a lot easier than most other trades, especially plastering and carpentry, and the money is better.

Of the three things you said you are looking at getting into I'd definitely be considering plumbing the most. Work is similar to electricians (labour wise) and so is the pay. I just don't like the idea of ever working with poo (sewage).

Yeah, well last year I decided to at least do year 11 and then I might as well do year 12 and get my VCE. I'm doing Systems Engineering which involves electronics. So that option of sparky should be open to me still. But I've never really wanted to be a sparky, only recently, I've been thinking they earn a bit better money and without as much hard work.

Yeah, I'm thinking plumbing might be the go atm, like you say, the only thing probably putting me off is the shitty side of the job lol.
My godfather is a plumber, so that should help too....

anyway, got a little while yet.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Im on about $500 a week as 2nd year sparky. more if work overtime

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
Bring Home 600 A Week After Tax Heavy Vehicle Body Builder Newcastle Buses(NSW Gov)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
4th year boilermaker mature age apprentice i get 15.40 an hour which is the minimum they can get away with paying me. so my take home is about 500p/w
I think youll find alot of people who use this site are lucky they live at home. It's even harder when you got rent and all the bills to pay aswell. About half my pay per week is rent alone

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I bet you guys can't want to start full time to earn the big bucks! I'm so glad I never did an apprenticeship. Contract rates FT-MF-W!

Me to.... I manged to pick up casual work, which turned into full time contract work in IT whilst studying. But still have no qualifications, but I dred the day I cant get work and have to go on traineeship wages :(

A few years ago I applied for a Telecommunications Traineeship through a well known telco company :p The pay was 180 bux a week, and they expected me to travel 120km each way to the site and wouldnt share ANY petrol costs, I worked it out, it would have cost me money to work in petrol alone lol.

Last edited:

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
auto elec apprentice making $265 a week
im only first year and only been there 6 months, should go up in august when i turn 21

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
im a 3rd year sheety
eba rates 20.50 an hour + 5% raise a year
680 clear after tax a 5 day week
890 clear after tax with saturday

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I was thinking that, but then if you compare it with studying at uni, imagine if you got paid $10/hr to study, you'd be laughing!

Your comment is totally unrelated to the topic. What has uni got to do with apprenticeships?
With uni everything you do is to benefit yourself with apprenticeships yes you gain benefit for yourself but you also benefit your employer by providing lost cost labour and there are also great incentives from the goverment to the employer. It is only fair that you get paid even if it is measley and you work as hard and some people do just as good job as fully qualified people.

For my employer apprentices are just a means to end lost cost labour is what its all about they dont care about teaching you they dont care your schooling. Hell they even told one apprentice that he couldnt go to school as they needed him to work instead.

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2, VL 5sp Berlina Wagon
$218 a week, 1st year mechanic apprentice $7.05 an hour.

Boss too stingy and wont pay us overtime.

FARKEN CRAP if you ask me.

Anyone in SA got some casual work for me?