Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices... How much you earning a week?

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
ive looked at doing an apprentice ship but theres no way im gonna do 40 hours for a crapy 400 a week hell no ill stay on the fork lift lol

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
ive looked at doing an apprentice ship but theres no way im gonna do 40 hours for a crapy 400 a week hell no ill stay on the fork lift lol

If only you could do part time apprenticeships.

We had plenty of part time students who worked their full time jobs and studied. A lot of people can't afford to drop a full time job when there's rent, food, kids etc.

That way you graduate in twice the time (sometimes less) and finish up with the same quals, all while working a full time job. Awesome.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Few things wrong here, straight from the mouth of a Commerce graduate.

Earning nothing? Most people work jobs at Uni, it sounds like most pay about double what most apprenticeships pay. I worked at a Woolies Petrol making $18p/h ish.

On top of that we've got 4 months of holiday between semesters, which the savvy people spend working full time. A lot of people also get professional vacation work, usually payin about $28 an hour. The bankers get about $1500 p/w. I personally spent a lot of time in warehouses, but I made a good few thousand every Uni holidays.

That bit of paper is nothing to be scoffed at. Graduate starting salaries start at about the $45k mark, I've got friends who are making over $100k first year out of Uni. Most major companies pay over $50k and then put you in an accelerated program where you progress fast and earn a crap load.

A Uni degree is certainly not a ticket to success, nor does it mean everyone with one is awesome but it's not something that should be scorned either. Not sure I'd say the same about a Bachelor of Arts, but the public sector does reward them pretty well for what they have.

A chick with a degree in Fine Arts my aunt works with makes over $80k pa with only 3 years on the job. Gotta love government jobs. Not bad for a piece of paper though.

I had a feeling someone would take that angle ;)

Firstly, I'm not scorning or downplaying the value of a degree, and you have hit the nail on the head in that a degree is an investment. Not disputing any of that. I went to university myself.

As for taking a job while you study, certainly, but I could say the same to an apprentice who feels they don't earn enough. I know plenty of people who's study load was more than most full time jobs, so if they can study more than 50hrs a week and find time to earn money, so can someone in full time work/apprenticeship.

You have a point about holidays, students do get more of them (as far as I know), but if you crunched the numbers I doubt it would be enough to offset the other 8 months of earning nothing 9-5, unless you worked your nut off or had an unusually well paying job. It's also quite hard to find good work in that period because 1) people usually want someone for longer, and 2) you're not the only uni student looking for work at that time.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
And also, what's with saying uni-students should be paid 10 bucks an hour to study.......wtf?????

The learning is for their own benefit, if they need to be paid for it (and that system would be flaunted anyhow) then they shouldn't be there.

I think that's a ridiculous proposition TBH.

Honestly, you guys are totally misinterpreting what I said.

I'm not proposing anything. Period.

I'm drawing an analogy between tertiary study and apprenticeships, to the point that they are both a form of education to make you more suitable for future work.

Ultimately you're an apprentice because you're still learning. At least you're getting money while you're still learning. That is all.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
U gotta think long term though bud. Full time chefs dont get penaltie rates and get around half the pay of tradesmen. Aswell as working most weekends, its the closest job to slave labour i can think of. I was an apprentice chef for 6 months until i realised what i was getting myself into. A good job though if your REALLY passionate about cooking.

Yehh our chefs are only on $25 an hour any day of the week... But i I dont plan on being a chef... Im doing my apprenticeship and becomming an officer of the law :thumbsup: Wanted to be a cop my whole life... Kinda ****ed up when I didnt go to year 12 So now i need to be trade qualified.

Man you guys get bloody exploited, cmon, i was earning 11bucks an hour when i was 13! as a bloody dish pig

I was on 18.30 ph doing dishes... $25 on sundays

$218 a week, 1st year mechanic apprentice $7.05 an hour.

Harshhhhhhhhhh

WhyallaVp

Vp Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
2nd year instrument fitter working 99.4 hour fortnights.. 12 hour shifts (thats weekends and overtime included) @ $15.05 an hour.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Geeze my younger brother is getting it good! He left school in grade 10 and got an electrical and instrumentation apprenticeship with Incitec Pivot. He's been 2nd year for a couple of months now. He was getting $440 for a 40 hour week, rdo every 2nd Monday and unlimited sick days! He was only 16!!! He's now 17 and 2nd year and gets $575 a week and same benefits!!!

He gets it so much better than most apprentices! He's hardly at work! If he is looking or feeling the slightest bit sick the bosses just tell him not to come in tomorrow. Most people are aloud 10 sick days a year. Not at this place they give them unlimited sick days...oh you have a runny nose ah just take tomorrow off. The bosses don't even care! They just call in one of the on call guys. How easy is that! I suppose if your company was making over $600m nett profit a year like this place it wouldn't really matter how many sick days your workers were taking, just call in the on call guys.

Don't know if you can tell but i'm so jealous lol

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
I started on 10.50 like 3 years ago as an electrical fitter and jumped to 14.50 when i turned 18 now its 18.50 plus penal rates like time 1.5 for overtime and double for sundays I suppose thats wat u get for working with high voltages everday. I dont think the minimum wage is under 12bux anymore though.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Yeah that's true. I'm not sure about Fibrous, but I know there is def good money in Solid.
I know two guys who were turning over between 7K to 10K a week every week. It kinda helps when you start at 5:30 and finish at 6pm 13 days out of 14 though lol.

EDIT: I should also add that figure is each, not between them.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450