Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

Discussion in 'General' started by fabz, Dec 23, 2005.

1. oska

oska Member

Members Ride:
    vx custom 600RR
    i'm curious about speed signs Vs GPS speed limits which is correct since map providers pay governments a fee for roads data

where can i get accurate information on the speed limit of a particular road

2. Rusty

Rusty ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶

Members Ride:
    Vt with VU/VZ bits
    Only trust the speed signs. Disregard GPS.....

3. Ghost

Ghost Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Vs Commodore Equipe Sedan 1996
    If you update your gps via your pc weekly they should be the same

4. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    Keep in mind you have 2 sets of lights. 4 globes that are highbeam (2 in your normal headlight globes) and then your normal headlights.

5. Ghost

Ghost Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Vs Commodore Equipe Sedan 1996
    Not in his case he has the projector headlights and it needs a wire modification because both h9 and h11 are single beam globes

6. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    He never posted that. ;)
    In the case of stock, there is 4 high beam lights (2 housed with the low beams), or 2 seperate low beam lights. Some cars only have 2 high beam lights and 2 low beams completely seperate, so i would suggest it wouldn't be an issue

7. VicCop

VicCop New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Commodore SV6 SII
    Go by the signs. They're what matter and they're what I'm using when checking speeds.

For the particular speed of a road either go and find the applicable sign or if not possible or impractical, contact either the roads corporation (VicRoads if Victoria) if it's a road managed by them or if it's a 'collector' road or back street contact the local council.

8. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    meh. editting because ive done some reasearch and came back probably not the best idea.
    probably legal in some respect though.

(it was for building a motorised esky/toolbox, battery powered and the legalities basically)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. AlexVSII

AlexVSII Member

Members Ride:
    1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
    A couple of questions re learners.

We all know that someone on their L's must have a fully licenced driver in the passenger seat, but what's the deal if they're driving a car with 3 seat belted bench seats in the front? Must the leaner sit directly next to the supervisor, or can someone else such as a younger child sit between them?

Also in NSW at least as far as I know, someone who did their P's test in an auto can't drive a manual unless there's also a fully licenced driver with them. If they're driving in such a situation, effectively reduced to having a supervising driver with them like when they were on their L's, can they drive a V8/Turbo/Supercharged as per when they were on their L's or is it still verboten?

I'm asking just out of curiosity following a discussion I had with someone today so no real urgency for an answer, but it would satisfy my curiosity.

10. Brenno

Brenno New Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
    Mate I had to get this question answered in QLD.. Because a couple of the young lads I work with are on their P Plates and we travel up to 2000+kms some weeks of work. 90% of time it's done in a work ute, however from time to time there is need to take my car (being that the SS is alot more comfortable then their little beaters).. Apparently once they are on their P's if they are learning a manual they still have to display L plates with someone who holds an open license in the passenger seat. However in the case of the auto SS I was told regardless of having an open license driver beside them they technically can't drive the vehicle with an exemption.

And to describe it how the police officer put it 'If you're travelling that far and want to split the driving, obviously you aren't going to be alert and supervising the P Plate driver'.. Which makes alot of sense.. I only wanted to swap drivers so I could sleep..

11. msiys

msiys New Member

Members Ride:
    1997 Series II VS Berlina
    ahhhhh bean counters and jobs that are well protected.

=

The opposite of democracy.

Um dictatorships from one voice one dream one ideal, - to billions :D

12. bronxsystem

bronxsystem New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 2008
    just saw this thread

i just finished CSU bridging course and got accepted into the ADPP course in Goulburn i just wanted to get idea how much essay work do we do in the academy?
    i did not finish HSC and have been out of school for 10 years so i am bit worried about the uni work.

13. M1LMO3

M1LMO3 New Member

Members Ride:
    N/A
    Hey mate, not trying to step on anyone's toes but I think I can give this question a crack. I didn't do the ADPP, I completed the bachelor of justice studies (policing) which is alot more complex in sense of the writing/assignment work.

The work load at the academy is more practical based and is designed using assignments, exams and simulations basically it is hands on whilst teaching/testing that you have the knowledge needed. You should be fine you got though the bridging course, and from what I can see you can read & write the rest comes down to your work ethic.

My advice would be if you haven't/ain't already check that your physically ready and most importantly you meet all the suitability criteria which I presume you would be well aware of or already passed.

If you find you are struggling they are plenty of great options that the Uni has available for you, but you will be well informed of all the resources available and what the course consist of during your orientation.

If your doing something you enjoy/love you will find the work to be secondary nature, if your willing to work you will get though the course.

Something you may wish to consider in the future if you plan on forwarding you career is maybe looking at a another degree that will give you a complete degree. I say this as the ADPP is not a complete degree and can hidden the opportunities you have available to you within the force.

That's just something to consider in the future, firstly keep focused on completing this course. I hope I helped you out in someway, and I wish you all the best and hope to welcome you to the family of blue.

14. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
    Hey wombat, are you for real about your Harley comments?
    Mate I have ridden bikes all my life, and have owned a Harley amongst others. Even with the pipes changed out, still so many dumbarse mofo car drivers on the roads do not bother checking for bikes, the louder the better for bikes I say. I think that bikes should also come equipped with a 50 CAL.

Wake up mate, a Harley has a sweet sound, sure some bikers go a bit overboard and make them sound shit, but thats their prob.

15. Woody_SS

Woody_SS Defective User

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    Questions Regarding road works and speed limits:
    There is currently a bit of road resurfacing (thats what they are calling leaving rocks on the road) going on around canberra.

1. There is 1 section (approx 50mtrs) where it is sign posted for road works and 60kph. There is no end of works signage (well for the 2+km that i travel). Is it ok to return 80kph at the end of the section that has been replaced ?

2. Another section has road works and 60kph signage then 5m after it has the normal 80kph sign 'not' covered. Which sign should I be adhereing to ? The road works do continue for about 1km past the signs.

16. Mitch-

Mitch- New Member

Members Ride:
    Omega
    Hello there,

For your first question, the Supervisor driver has to be seated next to the L plater. Main reason being, if, for any reason, the handbreak needed to be applied to avoid the crash, or a hazard (wouldn't recommend this at speed..) or if the supervisor needed to make adjustments to the steering in emergency situations, they are able to, and it should be in an arm reach from them. With a 3seater- front seat, they are unable to if somebody is seated in the middle seat.

For the P plater question, it's a no. They aren't able to drive a v8, or turbo charged (unless turbo diesel) car, even if there is a supervisor driver next to them. One of the conditions of the licence would be not to be incontrol of a high powered vehicle, while I do understand the licence condition for auto red p-platers is, they aren't able to drive cars with Synchromesh gearboxes (manual- or clutch manual), they are able to learn- with a fully licensed supervisor driver. They wouldn't be able to learn how to drive a high powered vehicle, it would be way to dangerous for an inexperienced driver to drive. (L platers are different, it's not like they would hit high speeds while being supervised. well, I have never seen it). But, if red P platers want to drive a manual (with an auto licence- without being supervised) they would have to retake the test.

17. Mitch-

Mitch- New Member

Members Ride:
    Omega
    Hey there,

I'm not 100% familiar with ACT/AFP laws, but as for NSW.. For 1. I would say keep up with traffic, there should always be a end of roadworks sign, there could be a few reasons why there isn't- vandalised and removed, or it could even be hidden. If there is a problem, I would speak to your local council about it, and they should replace it/add it. And as for the 2nd, Is there a "end" roadworks sign? if there is, you should be adhereing to the first sign. But, if you were to do 80Km/h and were pulled over and fined.. You could take it to court, and take a photo (making sure both signs are visible)- I'm sure the courts will drop the case if you were to say you were confused and were unsure on which sign to follow.

18. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    Erm, you always follow the last sign you come across. Its never the other way around. If there is a 60 sign followed by an uncovered 80 sign, you do 80 (assuming its obvious that there isn't meant to be a cover there)

Your post is completely backwards, if there was a 60 sign, and an end road works sign, then you'd be safe to do the next signs 80k's. You wouldn't revert back to the 60 sign that preceeded it....... No wonder so many people want to smash into me these days...

19. ProbablyRaging

ProbablyRaging Drop Bass, Not Bombs.

Members Ride:
    VXII Executive
    Correct! Even if there is a 60KPH sign followed by a 80KPH sign 1meter away you would do 80KPH. The reason you would find a road work speed sign so close to a council speed sign is because traffic controllers need to follow a rule which states that speed signs need to be placed a consecutive distance apart from each other for the full length of the work site.

20. vxcustom

vxcustom VXXX

Members Ride:
    vx v6 executive
    Just a quick observation.......I was travelling towards pakenham on the monash freeway today (aprox 11am) and between wellington Road and Eastlink there was roadworks being performed with lots of relevant signage and a reduced speed limit of 60km/h. Now I dont have any issues per se with roadworks and reduced speed limits however I do take exception to the fact that whilst in the third lane from the left (there is 4 for those that dont live in vic) at between 60 and 65km\h I was overtaken by two trucks a car and then a silver unmarked police car (ve wagon). When I say overtaken I can only guesstimate their speeds but definately above 80km/h. Neither the trucks or the car were pulled over, they just moved to the left and the unmarked car drove past them without accelerating or changing lanes (ie he didnt look to be in a hurry to get anywhere.

Most interesting..........thoughts, comments?