Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

brough

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 308
gday
just wana know why cops keep pullig me over and lecturing me on p plater safety and prosceeding to go over my car with a fine tooth comb looking for a defect when
a.i have not committed an offence
b.have a almost stock/very good condition car
is it personal preference for them to target who they want or is there a set procedure as to who and why they can pull someone up. i am on my p's and have a yellow v8 commodore, ive only ever been fined once(110 in a 110 zone on my red p's) and have never had an acko, i drive obeying the rules and leave my racing at the track there should be something put in place to stop the police (minority) from harrasing otherwise safe drivers who have not commited an offence.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
gday
just wana know why cops keep pullig me over and lecturing me on p plater safety and prosceeding to go over my car with a fine tooth comb looking for a defect...

...i am on my p's and have a yellow v8 commodore...

Well there ya go, you just answered your own question!

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
gday
just wana know why cops keep pullig me over and lecturing me on p plater safety and prosceeding to go over my car with a fine tooth comb looking for a defect when
a.i have not committed an offence
b.have a almost stock/very good condition car
is it personal preference for them to target who they want or is there a set procedure as to who and why they can pull someone up. i am on my p's and have a yellow v8 commodore, ive only ever been fined once(110 in a 110 zone on my red p's) and have never had an acko, i drive obeying the rules and leave my racing at the track there should be something put in place to stop the police (minority) from harrasing otherwise safe drivers who have not commited an offence.

As davey said, you've answered your own question in relation to why you keep attracting police attention.

I notice you use the word 'harrassing'. The police are by no means harrassing you - they're doing their job. They are simply giving you a constant reminder that if you screw up, they'll be onto you very quickly.

If they see you doing something that results in your either copping a defect notice, fine or even your car being seized, imagine what joy they are going to have in doing you over. Think of it this way - don't give them the excuse.

Besides, once you lose that P plate you'll attract less attention. But by then your fascination with fast cars might have died as well.

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Its good to see a few nice officers spending their time on here to help others out GOOD WORK.

My question is- Illegal to drive with driving lights on during the day? i got chatted about 3 weeks ago.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just a quick question which might be innapropriate for this thread but might also start some good conversation in another thread.

Just in regards to something i heard on the news tonight about Elle McPhersons sister being picked up for the third time drink driving. Now, she is not the only one to be caught drink driving numerous times and then have her license handed straight back to her after whatever period of time.

You hear it time and time again about people being caught drink driving numerous times and still having their license.

Just by looking on the VicRoads website it pulls up the statistic that in about 1/4 of all deaths on our roads, the driver has a BAC of .05 or higher.

What im getting at is, in Victoria and other states. Drivers only need do something that, at the officers discression is labelled "Hooning" ( i wont argue against that some people are complete and utter morons and need the penalty applied to them) and their car is taken away for increments of time per offence along with a fine and eventually the car is taken off of them.

I cant find a statistic anywhere but im willing to bet that it is not 1/4 of deaths on the road which are attributed to "Hooning"

Why is the government so eager to punish people for "Hooning" yet in comparison, people who not only drink drive but also serial drink drive are at times let off with a slap on the wrist? Is it because they "shock horror" dont care about the people and just like to be able to flout the figures of how many Hoons they've stopped while people are dieing every day of un-hoon related incidents?

Sorry if i've totally missed a piece of legislation which also allows for people who drink drive over a set number of times to have their cars taken from them, but if there isnt, maybe there should be one because as i said, im willing to bet that there are more people dieing as a result of drink driving than of people doing burnouts.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
The problem is that governments only care about something after its plastered all over the media and drink driving hasnt received anywhere the same amount of air play as hooning(hoons have been the devil for quite a while now).

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Its good to see a few nice officers spending their time on here to help others out GOOD WORK.

My question is- Illegal to drive with driving lights on during the day? i got chatted about 3 weeks ago.

What do you define as a 'driving light'?

I guess you are referring to front facing fog lights??? It amazes me how many times I pull people over for this and they try and tell me that they are DTDL's, Day Time Driving Lights... Day time driving lights are exactly the same thing as night time driving lights, they are called headlights by most people...

What stuffs up most drivers is when you pull them up, they pull out that excuse and then you ask them to show you the cars manual... Every time (SO FAR!) they have been described in the manual by the manufacturer as fog lights. And it always says, they are not to be used unless there is inclement weather.

Yes it is illegal!
Do I issue tickets for it?
Never, for a first offence...

Night time, fog lights on in good weather! TOTALLY different story.
Tickets Galore. They are almost as bad as High Beam on cars these days!

younggun

92 vQ StAtEsMan 5Lt
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VQ StAtEsMaN 5Lt
whats the go with p platers driving V8's in queensland if i have my p's before the law comes out can they fine me after the date the law comes out which i think is june/july???

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Just a quick question which might be innapropriate for this thread but might also start some good conversation in another thread.

Just in regards to something i heard on the news tonight about Elle McPhersons sister being picked up for the third time drink driving. Now, she is not the only one to be caught drink driving numerous times and then have her license handed straight back to her after whatever period of time.

You hear it time and time again about people being caught drink driving numerous times and still having their license.

Just by looking on the VicRoads website it pulls up the statistic that in about 1/4 of all deaths on our roads, the driver has a BAC of .05 or higher.

What im getting at is, in Victoria and other states. Drivers only need do something that, at the officers discression is labelled "Hooning" ( i wont argue against that some people are complete and utter morons and need the penalty applied to them) and their car is taken away for increments of time per offence along with a fine and eventually the car is taken off of them.

I cant find a statistic anywhere but im willing to bet that it is not 1/4 of deaths on the road which are attributed to "Hooning"

Why is the government so eager to punish people for "Hooning" yet in comparison, people who not only drink drive but also serial drink drive are at times let off with a slap on the wrist? Is it because they "shock horror" dont care about the people and just like to be able to flout the figures of how many Hoons they've stopped while people are dieing every day of un-hoon related incidents?

Sorry if i've totally missed a piece of legislation which also allows for people who drink drive over a set number of times to have their cars taken from them, but if there isnt, maybe there should be one because as i said, im willing to bet that there are more people dieing as a result of drink driving than of people doing burnouts.

You raise a fair point.

There is a difference between the two different issues being hooning and drink driving. Drink driving in regards to loss of licence etc is straight down the line and mandatory whether it be for a first offence which is dealt with (in Victoria at least) by way of penalty notice (ticket) giving a disqualification period. For a second or subsequent offence it is dealt with by the Magistrates' Court.

The issue of hooning and seizing cars is dealt with directly by police. The car is taken and the offender is brought before the courts in relation to the relevant charges. It is then out of police hands as to what happends to the person's licence.

I see what you're getting at. The bottom line is that there is no controlling what magistrates do, they do what they like and cop very little criticism. I've heard of cases of a person being wrongfully imprisoned due to an administrative error made by a magistrate - it barely made it into the media where as if I locked up the wrong person for a crime it would be all over tomorrows morning paper.

There however have been Victorian magistrates recently being very harsh on repeat drink driving offenders, telling a number of them not to even ask for their licence back.

As the media has outlined, Mimi McPherson has been caught a couple of times before. This time she was caught in Queensland, the other two occasions were in other states. So yes it is unfair that she has been caught before (and hasn't learnt) and gets to be treated as a first time offender.

Queensland I think is also a bit more lenient on drink driving offenders. I have always known Victoria to be the harshest. There was a time here that you could be like Ms McPherson and hire a hot shot barrister and this would see you pay a couple of thousand dollars (pocket change for them) and keep your licence. The last person to do that here I think was Darryl Sommers. After that things changed and magistrates powers of discretion in relation to drink driving was taken away.

Also you mention about car seizing appearing to only be for hoon driving, it's not. It's also for excess speed, if someone is clocked more that 45km/h over. It is also for persons caught disqualified, if they became disqualified after July 1st, 2006. So in actual fact, when a drink driver gets disqualified and goes driving again, the to can be subject to car impoundment.

Hooning would be attributed to road deaths. Not as much as .05 I would conceed that. Hoon driving incites other bad driving behaviour, such as speed. Speed probably the biggest killer on the road. Hooning is not only dangerous but is seen as anti-social behaviour. I bet you wouldn't find it pleasant living, as those people in Noble Park live, to have to put up with the screech of tyres and revving of loud engines on your front doorstep every weekend.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
ok fellas 2 questions for you.

1. when on full licence can you travel without your license because i have heard that you have 24 hours to produce your license, but i have also heard that you are not so whats the go?

2. i cruise through adelaide a fair bit and on a friday or saturday night taxi drop off people but most of the time its in the middle of the street blocking off the traffic!, the cops drive by and dont even look at them, so my question is do you guys book taxi's for doing that or not as some of the time they sit there for a good 2 mins.