Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

slackjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6-5spd Auto
Hi Doctor Bob, I recently bought a VY ii One Tonner V6 Auto, and I have noticed that it doesn't change into 4th gear until I reach about 75kph. I was wondering if this is normal for the One Tonner's due to the diff ratio being 3.08:1. I had it looked at by a Auto Trans mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He recommended have Holden reflash the computer. Do you think that would fix the problem?

David

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Whatz up doc, I`ve got a 94 excec spec stock BT1 5.0L and latly it`s been starting weird. In the morning when cold it starts fine, when left for a very small amout of time (5min) after driving it starts fine, when left for 10min+
and even after work, after driving it at lunch (4 hours later) it will only start straight away when I step on the accelerator, and cranks for about seven seconds if I don`t use the accel, when I finaly get it going it runs like a pig (shakes the whole car) for about 10 secs and blows a quick bloom of black smoke, then finaly starts to Idle fine. I`t drives alright and has lots of power.
I`ve changed spark plugs ( I`ve got nipons in now with the correct gap)
new fuel filter, new leads fresh air filter ran numerous injector cleaners inc.. nulon, toyota genuine (the later been rumored to B the best) to no avail.

I`ve been told to check for leaking fuel preeure regulator`s and to get my starter motor checked out. what do you think? is this all I should B checking?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Doctor Bob, I recently bought a VY ii One Tonner V6 Auto, and I have noticed that it doesn't change into 4th gear until I reach about 75kph. I was wondering if this is normal for the One Tonner's due to the diff ratio being 3.08:1. I had it looked at by a Auto Trans mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He recommended have Holden reflash the computer. Do you think that would fix the problem?

David

this is pretty normal , reflashing it wont change anything, the only options available for these when reflashing are the TCC lockup speeds & they are all over 100.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Whatz up doc, I`ve got a 94 excec spec stock BT1 5.0L and latly it`s been starting weird. In the morning when cold it starts fine, when left for a very small amout of time (5min) after driving it starts fine, when left for 10min+
and even after work, after driving it at lunch (4 hours later) it will only start straight away when I step on the accelerator, and cranks for about seven seconds if I don`t use the accel, when I finaly get it going it runs like a pig (shakes the whole car) for about 10 secs and blows a quick bloom of black smoke, then finaly starts to Idle fine. I`t drives alright and has lots of power.
I`ve changed spark plugs ( I`ve got nipons in now with the correct gap)
new fuel filter, new leads fresh air filter ran numerous injector cleaners inc.. nulon, toyota genuine (the later been rumored to B the best) to no avail.

I`ve been told to check for leaking fuel preeure regulator`s and to get my starter motor checked out. what do you think? is this all I should B checking?

it sounds like either the injectors or the regulator are leaking.
its easy to check the reg, pull the vacuum line off it & see if theres anything in it, if its moist at all the reg is leaking fuel into the manifold,
if not put a fuel pressure guage on it & start it up, switch it off & see if the pressure drops off over time.

Rob

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
it sounds like either the injectors or the regulator are leaking.
its easy to check the reg, pull the vacuum line off it & see if theres anything in it, if its moist at all the reg is leaking fuel into the manifold,
if not put a fuel pressure guage on it & start it up, switch it off & see if the pressure drops off over time.

Rob
Do I need to drive/ or idol the engine for a bit then check the vacume line`s or just check em cold, also can I get a fuel pressure gauge from a hardware store.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Do I need to drive/ or idol the engine for a bit then check the vacume line`s or just check em cold, also can I get a fuel pressure gauge from a hardware store.

as long as the system is up to pressure it will show.
the fuel pressure guage needs to be correctly fitted, best take it to a mechanic who knows what to do

check the vac line on the fuel pressure regulator only

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
vs problems

i am having problems with my vs commodores it has ad a rough idle for a while now and now someytimes when sitting at the lights it will completly die out but it was starting straight away.
it would also die out and lose all power when going along but wouldnt completly die out just like cut out adn cut back in it is an auto v6 vs commodore.
and jsut recently the car wont start sometimes and takes a bit of stuffing around to start it and the problem with conking out still occours. any help ould be greatly appreiciated
i have taken it to a mechainc and he said his best bet was the crank angl sensor but he wasnt sure and i have done the crank angle sensor in the last 2 months. i have also put in a new dfi module and coil packs. i have replaced the fuel filter just recently and there wasnt anyhting major in that either jsut a problem that isnt always there and cant get fixed

it is booked in for wednesday but as i rely on the car any info would be great

cheers brad

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
i am having problems with my vs commodores it has ad a rough idle for a while now and now someytimes when sitting at the lights it will completly die out but it was starting straight away.
it would also die out and lose all power when going along but wouldnt completly die out just like cut out adn cut back in it is an auto v6 vs commodore.
and jsut recently the car wont start sometimes and takes a bit of stuffing around to start it and the problem with conking out still occours. any help ould be greatly appreiciated
i have taken it to a mechainc and he said his best bet was the crank angl sensor but he wasnt sure and i have done the crank angle sensor in the last 2 months. i have also put in a new dfi module and coil packs. i have replaced the fuel filter just recently and there wasnt anyhting major in that either jsut a problem that isnt always there and cant get fixed

it is booked in for wednesday but as i rely on the car any info would be great

cheers brad
Check the code`s, look at the How to section for problem code revised.
or maybe doc`s got a idea.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
as long as the system is up to pressure it will show.
the fuel pressure guage needs to be correctly fitted, best take it to a mechanic who knows what to do

check the vac line on the fuel pressure regulator only
I can`t find the vac line on the reg, there`s a fuel in and out but no vac line, is it surposed to B at the back?
HERES A PIC

Last edited:

Steinie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Acclaim 3.8lt
Petrol and Temp Gauges

Hey There,

Just recently got a VS Calais Acclaim 3.8lt. All good but noticed the temp gauge slow to respond and suddenly jumps to its level, now petrol gauge and temp gauge dont budge at all. Your thoughts appreciated.

Steinie

Status
Not open for further replies.